Do We Get Anyone

Bahama O's Fan

After an exciting day or two of talks of re-signing Davis, I think it's going to be a quiet couple of weeks until things get stirred up again.

I think we will either get CD or we will be signing a couple of guys like Span and maybe a pitcher. I just don't see us signing Upton or Gordon.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The problem I have now is even if they end up with Davis, they still have the same team as last year just plus Trumbo. That is not good enough

Our rotation is not good. Doesn't matter how strong your Pen is, if your starters continue to give up 4 runs and/or can't go more than 4 innings its a problem.

Just curious to see why we don't add more players that can hit for average and get on base.... instead we continue to get one dimensional players who either hit HR's or strikeout.

After an exciting day or two of talks of re-signing Davis, I think it's going to be a quiet couple of weeks until things get stirred up again.

I think we will either get CD or we will be signing a couple of guys like Span and maybe a pitcher. I just don't see us signing Upton or Gordon.

IMO one guy is going to LAA and the other is going to STL.

We should really move on from the Upton/Gordon debates.

Duquette, Showalter, Jones, and Machado are here through 2018. They want to win now. Angelos wants to win before he expires, and with the possibility of a rebuild looming for 2019, he too wants to make it to the World Series by 2018. A big deal can be signed that costs very little this season (to nullify the impact of the Wieters contract) and pays more over the rest of the deal, like the O'Day contract, but on a larger scale. So, the budget doesn't have to go sky high to add a big contract. I think we'll see some more good players added and some money spent, but I have no idea who those players will be. There are a lot of them out there this year.

I hear what your saying.Everyday there's a potential FA singed by a club, I don't want to be impatient but you need to sign while talent is available.Hope

Hope something moves along.

It's a bit early to worry about. IMO

Isn't that the song every winter? It's always early, until ST comes and the Orioles have guys like Lough and Snider competing for starting jobs. I'm getting the feeling it was Davis or bust. They say they've moved on to other targets, then why isn't anything else heating up. Upton is from Virginia, so playing in Baltimore would be semi home for him. They've waited and waited, now teams with deeper pockets are left with Gordon and Upton to choose from. Gordon will land in St Louis, that's almost a given. I'm not to optimistic now.

I am unfortunately and unwisely getting my hopes up. I would love to see one of Gordon/Cespedes/Upton (even Span, more affordable), Pedro Alvarez as DH, and Scott Kazmir or trade for a pitcher. To me, we MUST get another quality starter, preferably lefty, and possibly a lower tier one as well (Doug Fister or so). I know that's a lot, especially for the O's, but like someone said, the window is now. I'll be very disappointed if we stand pat this offseason or get all C tier players. If they are counting Wieters, O'Day, and Trumbo as big money spent, this fan may just find better things to do with his time. I'm not usually a big advocate for free agent spending, but I feel like we have to extend the window, especially because the farm is nothing to write home about right now.

Isn't that the song every winter? It's always early, until ST comes and the Orioles have guys like Lough and Snider competing for starting jobs. I'm getting the feeling it was Davis or bust. They say they've moved on to other targets, then why isn't anything else heating up. Upton is from Virginia, so playing in Baltimore would be semi home for him. They've waited and waited, now teams with deeper pockets are left with Gordon and Upton to choose from. Gordon will land in St Louis, that's almost a given. I'm not to optimistic now.

Agreed, 100%.

I get tired of the same narrative every year. Yea, we have tried to re-sign our own - and this next bit is strictly speculation on my part - but is PA's willingness to try and retain O'Day and Davis more just trying to make amends for losing Mussina all those years ago? We haven't had a premier FA since Mussina, up until this year.

Haven't heard anything legitimate regarding the O's and other FA's, aside from our own guys this off season. I know it's still early, but with things lining up the way they are, I'm not overly optimistic that this will be the year we finally make a splash. DD will PROBABLY get a mid rotation SP and some other bargain bin acquisition and call it an off season.

Agreed, 100%.

I get tired of the same narrative every year. Yea, we have tried to re-sign our own - and this next bit is strictly speculation on my part - but is PA's willingness to try and retain O'Day and Davis more just trying to make amends for losing Mussina all those years ago? We haven't had a premier FA since Mussina, up until this year.

Haven't heard anything legitimate regarding the O's and other FA's, aside from our own guys this off season. I know it's still early, but with things lining up the way they are, I'm not overly optimistic that this will be the year we finally make a splash. DD will PROBABLY get a mid rotation SP and some other bargain bin acquisition and call it an off season.

You guys don't sound very fan festive. Try to put off your skepticism for just one day, okay? Give it a try.

You guys don't sound very fan festive. Try to put off your skepticism for just one day, okay? Give it a try.

I really did try, I promise - haha. From about Tuesday until yesterday morning I was feeling very optimistic. Thought Crush was in the bag, and if not him, then Upton. After yesterday and seeing the Cubs land Heyward - and who all was involved in the bid - I am not so optimistic now.

I really did try, I promise - haha. From about Tuesday until yesterday morning I was feeling very optimistic. Thought Crush was in the bag, and if not him, then Upton. After yesterday and seeing the Cubs land Heyward - and who all was involved in the bid - I am not so optimistic now.

Give it another try. Just for today.

My guess is the O's will bid on Kazmir. Whether they will get him or not is questionable.

Looks like Gordon goes to the Cards. Angels and Nationals each get one of Cespedes and Upton.

Cards don't seem to see Davis as a priority. I think the bidding is passed where they would go.

Whether the O's sign Davis will probably depends on how long it takes him to want to sign. If he waits too long the O's may go with Pedro Alvarez at DH and Trumbo at 1B.

O's might add Kim for 3/10.

As the market changes so do my guesses.

So far I was surprised that the O's went the extra year on O'Day and shocked that the O's offered 7/150 for Davis.

Why? I think the Nationals would be much more likely to be going after Fowler than those 2.

Archived