2016 New York Yankees

weams

That 1939 team won 106 games and their Pythag W-L was 111. Neither Gehrig nor Joe DiMaggio was in that particular lineup, but it still featured Bill Dickey, Joe Gordon, "King Kong" Keller, Red Rolfe, George Selkirk and Tommy Henrich. Steve Sundra was a spot starter that finished the season 11-1 with a 2.76 ERA. What a sick team -- the true height of the Yankee franchise... that happened to last for 29 years (1936 to 1964).

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/05/03/brian-cashman-on-yankees-slow-start-some-leashes-might-be-shorter-than-others/

Cashman continued:
“I’ve done this job a long time and I put this roster together,” Cashman said. “I feel it’s significantly better than it has performed, and when it doesn’t perform up to expectations over the course of time, I have a history of making changes. I would rather not go that route, but when you are forced to do so, you are forced to do so.”

Oh?

C - Brian McCann is performing to standards. Austin Romine is a backup.

1B - Mark Teixeira is a slow starter and age 36.

2B - Starlin Castro is outperforming expectations.

3B - Chase Headley, I'll give him. OPS+ of 18. But he's still on the decline.

SS - Didi Gregorius could improve a bit but he's no all star.

LF - Brett Gardner is having a typical season. 370 OBP, 110 OPS+

CF - Jacoby Ellsbury is on the decline, no surprise there.

RF - Carlos Beltran is 39 and putting up a 100 OPS+. C'mon.

DH - ARod is 40 and put up a 101 OPS+ before getting hurt. How many 40 year olds do that?

Hicks, Torreyes and Ackley average out to bench play.

SP1 - Tanaka is putting up All-Star numbers early.

SP2 - Eovaldi is not that good. Had some luck last year.

SP3 - Pineda is not the pitcher he used to be. Or the pitcher the Yanks signed up for.

SP4 - Severino is still developing. Sure he could have started out like a gangbuster, but he didn't. No big surprise.

SP5 - Sabathia. 'Nough said.

Bullpen - Waiting for Chapman. Miller has given up zero runs. Betances has been ok.

------------------

So, tell me where this team is supposed to be better?

o

(MARCH 12th)

Luis Severino's Poise Reminds Yankees Manager Joe Girardi of Hall-of-Famer Greg Maddux

(By Mark Feinsand)

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/luis-severino-poise-reminds-joe-girardi-greg-maddux-article-1.2562538

(MAY 3rd)

Luis Severino, Once Yankees' Pitching Savior, On Verge of Demotion

(By Jared Diamond)

http://www.wsj.com/articles/luis-severino-once-yankees-pitching-savior-on-verge-of-demotion-1462211877#:SE0YM7_dsx1F6A

On March 12th, Severino was reminding Girardi of Greg Maddux.

On May 9th, Severino was on the verge of a demotion to AAA-Scranton.

What the hell! Eject Ortiz!!! On strike 2, he FLIPS THE EF OUT at the ump's call. He needs to be ejected immediately. I'm so sick of Ortiz and his garbage antics that he always gets away with Scot free. He strikes out anyway! And now he flips out some more. What a disgraceful excuse for a "sportsman".

http://nypost.com/2016/05/09/how-2-yankees-wins-changed-chapman-returns-perception/

Castro not only got picked off third base, sabotaging a rally, but he strained his left oblique, causing manager Joe Girardi to pinch hit for him with Ronald Torreyes in the ninth inning.

Both Castro and Girardi expressed postgame optimism that the productive second baseman would play Monday night against the defending champion Royals, although Castro added: “Let’s see how it feels [Monday] morning when I wake up. I’ll just call and let them know.”

An extended absence by Castro, the Yankees’ best hitter so far, would be another blow to this shaky club, which already has Alex Rodriguez (right hamstring) and CC Sabathia (left groin) on the disabled list and is missing Jacoby Ellsbury (right hip) for at least one more day.

77 years ago today, Lou Gehrig benched himself after having played in 2,130 consecutive games.

(MAY 3rd, 1939) O[briggs Stadium, Detroit, MI]

NEW YORK YANKEES

Frankie Crosetti - SS

Red Rolfe - 3B

Tommy Henrich - CF

Bill Dickey - C

Charlie Keller - LF

George Selkirk - RF

Joe Gordon - 2B

Babe Dahlgren - 1B

Steve Sundra - RHP (1-0, 4.96 ERA)

DETROIT TIGERS

Barney McCosky - CF

Dixie Walker - LF 5

Charlie Gehringer - 2B

Hank Greenberg - 1B

Rudy York - C

Pete Fox - RF

Billy Rogell - 3B

Frank Croucher - SS

Al Benton - RHP (0-0, 2.37 ERA)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/DET/DET193905030.shtml

That 1939 team won 106 games and their Pythag W-L was 111. Neither Gehrig nor Joe DiMaggio was in that particular lineup, but it still featured Bill Dickey, Joe Gordon, "King Kong" Keller, Red Rolfe, George Selkirk and Tommy Henrich. Steve Sundra was a spot starter that finished the season 11-1 with a 2.76 ERA. What a sick team -- the true height of the Yankee franchise ... that happened to last for 29 years (1936 to 1964).

I really believe that if Gehrig had not gotten sick, he would have played in at least 2,500 consecutive games, and perhaps even as many as 2,800 - 3,000. Unlike Babe Ruth, he took care of himself by not drinking, and not staying out very late (although he did have an occasional cigarette.)

To me, the most amazing thing about his entire ordeal with the A.L.S. was the season that he had in 1938. Gehrig had had the disease since at least 1936 or 1937, and it got progressively worse over time until his death in 1941. In 1938, Gehrig hit 29 HR's with 32 doubles and 114 RBI's ...... even though he was already considerably weakened by the disease which wound up causing his premature death only 3 years later.

Archived