How to jump from 26th in the league team OBP to 2nd

higgybaby

Plan A: resign Chris Davis (.367 OBP)

add Denard Span (.352 OBP)

Include replace pitiful 2015 LF OBP with Kim (estimated .355 OBP) I'm estimating .355 a drop off of 51 points from his career average.

1. Davis .367 1b

2 Machado, .359 3b

3. Kim .355 LF

4. span .352 rf

5 Wieters, M .319 c

6. Trumbo .319 dh

7 Jones, A .308 cf

8. Hardy JJ .307 ss

9 Schoop, J .306 2b

=.332 obp team avg

That would be a jump to 2nd place behind the Blue Jays(.340)

Plan B: If we dont resign Davis then simply sign Morneau as our DH, slide Trumbo over to 1st and we still will have a .332 obp.

Without the bloated Davis contract you have Trumbo at 1B and could go with a DH platoon of Jaso (.380)/Reimold (.344) (both marks in 2015) and then Span in RF.

It is hard to have a game plan that includes Span. As I understand it. he won't be able to take a physical exam until late in the off-season. Coupling that fat with the reports that numerous teams have interest in him makes the likelihood of signing him at a seasonable price and having him be healthy this year, much less for the length of the contract, seem very low. Personally, I'd rather go in another, less risky, direction.

It is hard to have a game plan that includes Span. As I understand it. he won't be able to take a physical exam until late in the off-season. Coupling that fat with the reports that numerous teams have interest in him makes the likelihood of signing him at a seasonable price and having him be healthy this year, much less for the length of the contract, seem very low. Personally, I'd rather go in another, less risky, direction.

Sorry Typos * fact, reasonable

One of the things that's bugged me about the FO is the lack of a plan. Kind of like a small market team offering long term deals instead of extensions with that money to younger players developed within their own system.

I get what you're saying but the words and the execution often haven't lined up. Then again it wouldn't be the first time they signed higher risk than normal FA late in the off season.

Include replace pitiful 2015 LF OBP with Kim (estimated .355 OBP) I'm estimating .355 a drop off of 51 points from his career average.

1. Davis .367 1b

2 Machado, .359 3b

3. Kim .355 LF

4. span .352 rf

5 Wieters, M .319 c

6. Trumbo .319 dh

7 Jones, A .308 cf

8. Hardy JJ .307 ss

9 Schoop, J .306 2b

=.332 obp team avg

Plan B: If we dont resign Davis then simply sign Morneau as our DH, slide Trumbo over to 1st and we still will have a .332 obp.

Too early to make a projection for Kim. Also, don't want Span since we need power at the corner outfield spots.

Too early to make a projection for Kim. Also, don't want Span since we need power at the corner outfield spots.

Kang's OBP with Pittsburgh last year was only about 25 points below his KBO average. It stands to reason that power numbers will drop quite a bit from the KBO to MLB, but OBP shouldn't suffer quite as much. A good eye is a good eye. So a projected 50 point drop for Kim is probably a conservative estimate.

Kang's OBP with Pittsburgh last year was only about 25 points below his KBO average. It stands to reason that power numbers will drop quite a bit from the KBO to MLB, but OBP shouldn't suffer quite as much. A good eye is a good eye. So a projected 50 point drop for Kim is probably a conservative estimate.

Well, I would expect OBP to drop. After all, we are talking MLB pitchers vs. KBO pitchers. But I agree, a good batting eye should translate, and a very good OBP guy in KBO is unlikely to be a terrible OBP guy in MLB.

1. Davis .367 1b

2 Machado, .359 3b

3. Kim .355 LF

4. span .352 rf

5 Wieters, M .319 c

6. Trumbo .319 dh

7 Jones, A .308 cf

8. Hardy JJ .307 ss

9 Schoop, J .306 2b

=.332 obp team avg

You don't seem to have a consistent methodology for assigning the listed OBP's. In some cases you went with 2015 (Manny, Schoop, Jones, Wieters), in other cases you went with career numbers (Hardy, Span) and in other cases you just made something up (Davis, Trumbo). (Of course, you had to make something up for Kim.) As mentioned earlier, the biggest flaw is that you are leaving out all the other hitters.

You don't seem to have a consistent methodology for assigning the listed OBP's. In some cases you went with 2015 (Manny, Schoop, Jones, Wieters), in other cases you went with career numbers (Hardy, Span) and in other cases you just made something up (Davis, Trumbo). (Of course, you had to make something up for Kim.) As mentioned earlier, the biggest flaw is that you are leaving out all the other hitters.

The Davis OBP was a mistake.(I don't know why but I keep thinking.367 when I know I've read .361)

The Trumbo OBP was taken from an article I read. I just checked and it was 3 points higher than last years OBP.

In the cases of using Hardy and Span career numbers vs lastt season numbers I believe it;s more reasonable to assume they would gravitate to closer to those numbers.

Hardy would have to have another total collapse to approach his .253 OBP.

And I used Span's career OBP which is 13 points lower than laster years because i dont think last years numbers are sutainable in light of his injury.

Perhaps my logic is flawed because JJ is coming back from injury as well.

We'll see. I don't know if I'd consider a .355 OBP from a player coming from a very high offensive context league with a lower average talent level to be conservative. A .355 would have placed 22nd in the American League. If he is a strong bet to do that I'd guess his pricetag would have been higher.

Archived