Who do you want?

ChuckS

Pick one  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• Chris Davis at 6/125, no deferred money
    • Yoenis Cespedes at 5/100, keep the pick
    • Justin Upton at 6/110, lose the pick

Good poll. The options are all pretty close IMO, and all are better than the Davis deal that supposedly is "off the table." I went with Upton because he's younger than the other two and I think the difference in value is worth the pick.

I voted for upton

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fair enough but just as good a case can be made for Cespedes as for Davis. I think better but its certainly debatable.

I am very wary of the multiple teams that have found it advantageous to be rid of Cespedes. And the fact that he finished his walk year with the hottest streak of his life.

Of course not. It hurts to think the opponents you personally dislike beat you fair and square.

Interestingly, the Jays scored only 9 more runs at home than on the road, but they allowed 86 fewer runs at home. Are their pitchers "getting help" at home?

I'm a big fan of Davis and want to see him in an O's uniform in 2016 and beyond, but if we bring him back and don't sign anymore outfielders, we go into spring training in the same situation as last year; hoping that two from our large quantity of mediocre OFs breakout and man the corners all season.

Last year we had Reimold/Lough/Young/Pearce/De Aza/Snider. We'd just be replacing them with Reimold/Hoes/Alvarez/Urrutia/Rickard/Kim.

Not too crazy to get traded twice going into a walk year. Only bad rumblings out of Boston. Detroit said to be interested in a reunion. Davis put on his own hot streak heading into FA. Davis has shown more downside takes more financial commitment and pushes Trumbo to DH where he happy less value. And we don't get the pick.

All the options carry significant risk. Any $100M+ contract does.

And Cespedes turned the Mets whole season around last year. Upton never made that kind of an impact. I'll take Cespedes.

Oh geez. That pitching staff didn't have anything to do with it? They were over .500 and in the playoff hunt BEFORE Cespedes. That's precisely why they went after him.

He was huge for them, no doubt. He was heating up with Detroit, Mets made a good move, and he stayed hot....up until the playoffs started anyway....then he came crashing back down to earth with a .222 postseason.

But to say he "turned the Mets whole season around" is pretty over the top. Also, lets not forget the Nationals epic Aug/Sept meltdown.

a) It's not a bad track record. Even if Manny was the only guy on the list who worked out, wouldn't you be pretty careful about throwing away a 1-in-10 chance at a HOF-caliber player? What if the team had used your recommended plan prior to 2007 or 2010? They would have traded $100M+ in surplus value for expensive short-term fixes.

b) If you're going to assume that poor picks in the past mean that future picks are likely worthless you've decided that a sustainable, reasonably-priced successful Orioles team is exceptionally unlikely.

Manny was also a #3 not a #14 pick.

Gausman has already pitched close to a full year as an MLB starter, and also contributed greatly to our 2014 playoff run. I would say he is a B+ with the possibility of an A. If that is what you mean by "incomplete" then I am OK with the list.

That actually seems like a pretty good track record to me. I don't see a good argument either way based on this list. I still say Cespedes and keep the pick.

Gausman may turn out to be an A+. Yes by incomplete I mean we still do not know exactly what we have there. He's shown flashes but has been jerked around too much to make enough impact. I'm sure after this season we'll know a lot more if he remains in the roatation.

Archived