The Underrated Team of 2008

mefogus

My team of most underrated players for the 2008 MLB season:

C  - Greg Zaun1B - Nick Johnson2B - Tadahito Iguchi3B - Wes HelmsSS - Michael YoungLF - Matt DiazCF - Corey PattersonRF - Bobby AbreuDH - Jack CustSP - John LackeySP - Javier VazquezSP - Kelvim EscobarSP - Gil MecheSP - Randy WolfCL - Joakim Soria

Rules: No rookies for the 2007 and 2008 seasons and no current Orioles.

-m

Nominations from the Cardinals should probably include:

Kyle Lohse -- He's posted a 0.00 ERA in his 2 regular season starts so far and the Cards have only lost 3 games -- including spring training -- since he joined the team in mid-March. It isn't just Lohse who's pitching better; the Cardinals starters are leading the majors in ERA, despite having a rather suspect rotation. How long this will last is anyone's guess, but both Piniero and Mulder are reportedly throwing very well in rehab and may force a couple of the current starters to the bullpen very soon if they falter.

Troy Glaus -- There's no question that Glaus is a substantial downgrade defensively from Rolen, particularly when it comes to range, and his error in the Cards first official game of the season led to 2 unearned runs and cost Kyle Lohse a 1-0 win. However, Glaus has made some remarkable defensive plays since then, and his hitting is beginning to come around. He drove in the winning run in last night's game.

Cesar Izturis -- He's not hitting much (.174), but he's been drawing quite a few walks and he's gotten some key hits thus far. More important, it seems as though he may have revived his gold glove defense of 2004. The Cards are still weak offensively at the middle infield positions, but their defense up and down the lineup looks pretty good. Of course, it's still too early to tell much.

C: Mike Napoli

1B: Todd Helton

2b: Aaron Hill

3b: Joe Crede

Ss: Michael Young

OF: Bill Hall

OF: Jeff Francoeur

OF: Patt Burrell

SP: Dustin McGowan

SP: Zack Greinke

SP: Kyle Kendrick

SP: Bryan Bannister

SP: Kyle Lohse

CL: Matt Capps

Troy Glaus -- There's no question that Glaus is a substantial downgrade defensively from Rolen, particularly when it comes to range, and his error in the Cards first official game of the season led to 2 unearned runs and cost Kyle Lohse a 1-0 win. However, Glaus has made some remarkable defensive plays since then, and his hitting is beginning to come around. He drove in the winning run in last night's game.

I was debating Glaus for a long time prior to finally choosing Helms. The only reasons that Helms won out over Glaus is that the latter was once highly touted, is perennially expected to put up a solid hitting line, and is paid according to a player of his experience/skill.

-m

C: Mike Napoli

1B: Todd Helton

2b: Aaron Hill

3b: Joe Crede

Ss: Michael Young

OF: Bill Hall

OF: Jeff Francoeur

OF: Patt Burrell

SP: Dustin McGowan

SP: Zack Greinke

SP: Kyle Kendrick

SP: Bryan Bannister

SP: Kyle Lohse

CL: Matt Capps

Burrell was definitely on my short list, but I felt that comparing Matt Diaz to Kirby Puckett would get me a lot of comments. ;)

I should look as Lohse more closely. That's two votes for him so far.

-m

So shouldn't you be making a post giving La Russa all the credit?? ;)

So shouldn't you be making a post giving La Russa all the credit?? ;)

If I'd given La Russa all the blame for the loss of that game one, you might have a valid point. As it is, all you have is a humorous jab. :)

What I said is that there was a direct link between the La Russa feud with Rolen and the loss. There's a difference between "direct link" and "cause". There were a host of "causes" for that loss, including the inability of Cardinals hitters to accomplish much of anything against Kip Wells.

I also pointed out that Rolen averages 16 errors per 162 games, compared to 21 for Glaus, in addition to having greater range. There's no reasonable doubt that the difference between the defensive abilities of Rolen and Glaus is likely to cause a couple of additional losses for the Cards in 2008.

There's also no doubt that the Glaus error in game 1 was the proximate cause of the loss in that game, since it resulted in 2 unearned runs and the Cards lost 2-1. However, it would have been a very difficult play for Rolen as well, and we have no way of knowing if Rolen would have made it. His odds would have been better than for Glaus, but nothing is certain.

I am, however, pleased so far this season with the defensive prowess of Glaus and Izturis. Rolen and Izturis (or Jack Wilson) would be significantly better, but that's not likely in the foreseeable future.

It what world are Michael Young and Bobby Abreu underrated? Young has been an All Star for the last 4 seasons and while Abreu has only been an All Star twice, that probably has more to do with his playing the outfield because he's certainly put up All Star numbers throughout his career.

It what world are Michael Young and Bobby Abreu underrated?

Sigh. I knew this post was coming, but I expected it much earlier than this. The answer to your question, is "my universe". I'm sure you didn't read the follow through page, so it's likely that you did not see my explanations for why I consider them both underrated.

Young

* He plays for Texas

* He’s small

* He plays at the same time as Jeter, Ramirez, Furcal, Rollins, Tejada, and Reyes

* Has started zero all-star games (although has been chosen for 4 with only 5 AB total)

* Is not particularly stellar with the glove

Abreu

I remember watching the 1997 expansion draft and thinking, “Bobby Who?” when the Devil Rays chose him 6th overall. Until he won the homerun hitting contest a couple years ago, the entire country thought the same thing year in and year out. Now that he is on New York, he not only has to live in the shadow of A-Rod, Jeter, Posada, and even Matsui, but he has also stopped hitting homeruns. Regardless, the guy can hit, and the guy can take a walk or a hundred.

-m

Archived