Chien-Ming Wang, Dillon Gee Signed by the Royals

OFFNY

o

Not only is Wang many years removed from his solid MLB days, but he also pitched very badly at the AAA level for the past 2 seasons (2014 and 2015.)

Nonetheless, the Royals have signed him to a minor league contract, and will give him a chance to show what he can do in Spring Training.

Dillon Gee showed some promise with the Mets between 2010 and 2014 with an overall ERA of 3.91, a WHIP of 1.288, and 3 Complete Games in 103 games started ...... but he had a bad start to the 2015 season, and did not fare much better at AAA-Las Vegas after being demoted.

Dillon Gee, Chien-Ming Wang Among Royals' 17 Spring-Training Invitees

(Kansas City Star)

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mlb/kansas-city-royals/article55478980.html

I honestly wouldn't have minded us taking a run at Gee, especially on a MiL contract. KC seems like a better place to try and resurrect your career, though. I think many have pointed out that the Orioles and OPACY don't really make sense as a preferred rebound destination for pitchers, unless maybe you're a GB pitcher in front of our IF defense (but who knows if the players get down to that level of stats in their decision).

EDIT - Worth noting that Gee has a GB% slightly above league average (career 46%).

I honestly wouldn't have minded us taking a run at Gee, especially on a MiL contract. KC seems like a better place to try and resurrect your career, though. I think many have pointed out that the Orioles and OPACY don't really make sense as a preferred rebound destination for pitchers, unless maybe you're a GB pitcher in front of our IF defense (but who knows if the players get down to that level of stats in their decision).

EDIT - Worth noting that Gee has a GB% slightly above league average (career 46%).

But Norfolk is a good AAA spot for a pitcher to shine. And the Orioles' rotation appears to be one of the most likely rotations in MLB to develop a vacancy.

If I were the agent of a guy like Gee that is in all probability going to be signing a minor league deal somewhere, I would advise him to strongly consider Baltimore, since that would afford him a reasonable shot at getting back into a MLB rotation relatively soon.

Archived