Kevin Gausman believes the curve is his third pitch

wildcard

Should have gone 6 tonight or even 7. That ball 4 to that batter should have been a strike out, and he should have been out of the fifth. He would have started the 6th and most likely wouldn't allow the bases loaded like Matusz did to bring in the second run. Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter if the offense was held down completely.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe Gausman's 5 innings were the best by an Oriole starter all year. Certainly he had the best stuff Ive seen. We better start hitting. This team could be in some trouble.

Rickard and Davis especially looked bad hitting (or more accurately not hitting) tonight. Davis had some fat pitches he missed.

This was an important game. Kevin looked like the ace we hoped he would become. I look forward to him showing that stuff and going deeper in games.

I'm not worried about the offense. This team will hit.

Adam is not done with the rib injury though.

This was an important game. Kevin looked like the ace we hoped he would become. I look forward to him showing that stuff and going deeper in games.

At the start of the season I said he'd be our best pitcher, but more than that I think he has the stuff to be an ace. What you saw tonight was a guy who has confidence in all his offerings. The three straight CU to Longoria for the swinging strike out had the Rays third baseman talking to himself on the way back to the dugout. And when they scored the run, he threw a beautiful CU on a 2-2 pitch that should have been called strike three only to go to a full count and surrender the run.

Even if he did go to it more than what some thought he should the upside to that was he wasn't afraid to throw it in hitters counts and when he was behind. That speaks to his confidence. I'm excited to watch him pitch all year long.

I didn't get to see Gausman's start last night, though I did hear the fifth inning on the radio. I think he ran out of gas a little, which is understandable considering it's his first major league start this year and he didn't go any further than 90 pitches during his rehab. I think we have to be very encouraged by that performance. I'm going to the Saturday night game, which should be Gausman's next start, so I'm excited about that.

I agree. I also thought that there was little creativity when the he was ahead 0-2 in the 5th. Always low outside 2 times, then a low fastball, followed by another. Then he got squeezed on a couple pitches and it hurt him. Nice performance and it is always tough when the offense gives you nothing. Looked like the offense went back to its old ways.

At the start of the season I said he'd be our best pitcher, but more than that I think he has the stuff to be an ace. What you saw tonight was a guy who has confidence in all his offerings. The three straight CU to Longoria for the swinging strike out had the Rays third baseman talking to himself on the way back to the dugout. And when they scored the run, he threw a beautiful CU on a 2-2 pitch that should have been called strike three only to go to a full count and surrender the run.

Even if he did go to it more than what some thought he should the upside to that was he wasn't afraid to throw it in hitters counts and when he was behind. That speaks to his confidence. I'm excited to watch him pitch all year long.

94-99 MPH. I believe he touched 100 according to someone in the game thread but I missed it. Regardless, the fastball was popping and his fastball command was good.

By CU do you mean Curve or Change-up? I thought the strikeout to Longo was on sliders in the mid-80s. According to the data on Fangraphs, he was throwing a slider and did not throw a curveball at all. I thought he was throwing more sliders than usual and Fangraphs confirms, 28% compared to 11% last year. Unfortunately his slider command was still not great, but he did dominate Longoria with it and should have had Souza (I think) struck out on it.

94-99 MPH. I believe he touched 100 according to someone in the game thread but I missed it. Regardless, the fastball was popping and his fastball command was good.

By CU do you mean Curve or Change-up? I thought the strikeout to Longo was on sliders in the mid-80s. According to the data on Fangraphs, he was throwing a slider and did not throw a curveball at all. I thought he was throwing more sliders than usual and Fangraphs confirms, 28% compared to 11% last year. Unfortunately his slider command was still not great, but he did dominate Longoria with it and should have had Souza (I think) struck out on it.

According to pitch Fx, 100.1 was his max. I know I saw 99 at the knees a couple of times, that was impressive.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/pfx.php?month=4&day=25&year=2016&game=gid_2016_04_25_balmlb_tbamlb_1%2F&pitchSel=592332&prevGame=gid_2016_04_25_balmlb_tbamlb_1%2F&prevDate=425&league=mlb

Weird, Brooksbaseball has him throwing 100% curveballs, while Fangraphs has him throwing 100% sliders, although both appear to be using Pitch F/X.

Archived