Kevin Gausman believes the curve is his third pitch

wildcard

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

After walking the first batter of the game on 4 pitches, Gausman's strikes-to-balls ratio was ...... 67 Strikes - 23 Balls.

18 OUTS: 7 Groundouts (Including 2 Double Plays), 3 Strikeouts, 2 Popouts, 2 Flyouts, 1 Foulout, 1 Lineout

K.J. GAUSMAN O (vs. WHITE SOX, 4/30)

IP:l 6

H:;; 4 ll(1 Home Run, 3 Singles)

R:l) 3

ER:)2

BB: 1

SO: 3

Pitches: 94 (67 Strikes, 27 Balls)

2016 ERA: 2.45

PITCHES BY INNING

91 (41 Strikes, 5 Balls)

16 (12 Strikes, 4 Balls)

24 (20 Strikes, 4 Balls)

19 (13 Strikes, 6 Balls)

12 (81 Strikes, 4 Balls)

14 (10 Strikes, 4 Balls)

How's his changeup? I thought that the development of his changeup was/is the key to him eventually becoming a number 1/2 starter.

Kevin throws the changeup rarely (under 10%), so I would agree with you. Not sure how a pitch that's thrown the second most often is the "third" pitch and not the changeup. But regardless, Kevin should throw his 2nd and 3rd pitch more often- that would give him more confidence at least.

Kevin throws the changeup rarely (under 10%), so I would agree with you. Not sure how a pitch that's thrown the second most often is the "third" pitch and not the changeup. But regardless, Kevin should throw his 2nd and 3rd pitch more often- that would give him more confidence at least.

I always thought the change or split-change was his primary secondary offering. The curve/slider was always the third pitch. Have I missed something? I know he was throwing the curve or slurve more predominantly in his last start.

I always thought the change or split-change was his primary secondary offering. The curve/slider was always the third pitch. Have I missed something? I know he was throwing the curve or slurve more predominantly in his last start.

I think we're all saying the same thing. The "2nd" pitch has a lot of movement, whatever you call it. The "3rd" pitch, the one he doens't throw much, seems like a straight change around 86-87mph (Gallardo would love a fastball like that, but he's hurt). Maybe Kevin calls his second pitch a changeup because it's in the low 80's, even though it breaks alot- whatever you calll it, it's all greek to me.

Gausman was pretty terrific last night. I was especially impressed that he didn't let the two errors in the third inning rattle him, and minimized the damage. He's definitely maturing as a pitcher.

o

24 OUTS: 9 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 7 Flyouts, 4 Strikeouts, 2 Popouts, 1 Lineout

K.J. GAUSMAN O (vs. A BUNCH OF CREEPS, 5/05)

IP:l 8

H:;; 3 ll(1 Double, 2 Singles)

R:l) 0

BB: 0

SO: 4

Pitches: 97 (65 Strikes, 32 Balls)

2016 ERA: 1.42

PITCHES BY INNING

11 (91 Strikes, 2 Balls)

13 (71 Strikes, 6 Balls)

13 (91 Strikes, 4 Balls)

11 (91 Strikes, 2 Balls)