Kevin Gausman believes the curve is his third pitch

wildcard

Insult me, insult Dave Johnson all you like but you would have to be blind as a bat to think Gausman is a better pitcher now than Chris Tillman. And minimize wins all you want but one reason Tillman wins games is he hangs around long enough to get a win and keeps his team in the game. I don't know what games you are watching but Tillman can win games even when he doesnt have his best stuff whereas I have yet to see that from Gausman.

I insulted you? Lot of victims here lately. For the third time, I'll say I believe Kevin will be their best pitcher. Got it? No one is disputing Tillman is pitching better for now. And most of your post was in flat denial about Gausman's performance on the road as I clearly showed.

Your first post in response to mine was an attack although, as I pointed out, you focused on one sentence. You totally left out the things I was very clear about Gausman needing to improve upon. I didn't whine about being insulted, I just showed facts to disarticulate your weak assertions.

And as I also said, Tillman is my favorite Oriole pitcher, so I love when he's successful. Please feel free to respond with something factual that supports your original argument about Gausman on the road that isn't limited to one start. It's called intellectual honesty. Spin will be quickly called out here.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Denny is 72 so I'm going to go with the guy that is 1-14.

I watched Denny pitch.

“The rules for Denny just don’t seem to be the same as for the rest of us.”

A virtual gunfighter on the mound, McLain pulled his hat brim down so low that he had to tilt his head backward to see the signs from his catcher. He worked fast and without deception, throwing pitch after pitch in the strike zone, even ahead in the count. Although he had a change and overhand curve, he used fastballs and hard sliders for the most part, challenging the hitter with every pitch, often throwing one letter-high fastball after another. If a batter hit the ball hard, the next time up McLain would just give him the same pitch in the same location. “Here you go,” he seemed to say, “let’s see you hit it again.”

Off the field, McLain’s life was equally carefree and, it would turn out, even more reckless. His idol was Frank Sinatra, not just for the legendary singing voice but because Sinatra exuded wealth and power. “Sinatra doesn’t give a damn about anything, and neither do I,” said Denny.

http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/6bddedd4

Author of the book I am reading.

I insulted you? Lot of victims here lately. For the third time, I'll say I believe Kevin will be their best pitcher. Got it? No one is disputing Tillman is pitching better for now. And most of your post was in flat denial about Gausman's performance on the road as I clearly showed.

Your first post in response to mine was an attack although, as I pointed out, you focused on one sentence. You totally left out the things I was very clear about Gausman needing to improve upon. I didn't whine about being insulted, I just showed facts to disarticulate your weak assertions.

And as I also said, Tillman is my favorite Oriole pitcher, so I love when he's successful. Please feel free to respond with something factual that supports your original argument about Gausman on the road that isn't limited to one start. It's called intellectual honesty. Spin will be quickly called out here.

First off before you lecture anyone on the subject of intellectual honesty and spin, you better look in the mirror. I don't know about you, but I learned by the third grade that these two sentences would not be considered the same: "I still believe he is our best starter," versus, "I believe he will be their best pitcher." So tell yourself you those two statements are the same and then instead of lecturing me on spin and intellectual honesty, maybe an apology is in order. And since you are two lazy apparently to look up the stats and also somehow spin it that I was only looking at "one start," when I clearly stated for his entire career he has been good at home and terrible on the road, here you are: CAREER ERA at home: 3.19 vrs 4.95 on road and yes that road ERA if he pitched that badly at home would take him out of the rotation imo, as almost 5 runs per game is indeed terrible, especially for a guy with an upper 90's fastball and a nice split finger pitch, CAREER WHIP at home: 1.14 versus Road: 1.38 and CAREER: BABIP at home: 2.76 versus Road: 3.20. So those are the facts, and you said you thought he was our best starter - and all I did was point out you must not watch Tillman pitch, who by the way is now 7-1 and Gausman hasn't had a road win since 2014. He should be much better than he is with his arm, but he's not.

You passed the third grade?

Wow what a response? I totally point out how wrong you were in several obvious ways including your own revisionist history of your own statements and twisting of my assertions to suit your own incorrect agenda and this is the best you got? LMAO!!

Wow what a response? I totally point out how wrong you were in several obvious ways including your own revisionist history of your own statements and twisting of my assertions to suit your own incorrect agenda and this is the best you got? LMAO!!

There's never been anything revisionist about my belief Gausman will be our best starter by the end of the season. Your assertions were just an attack on one statement I made. Again, you disregarded any of the critique I included about him in the OP you quoted.

I am impressed by your use of the word revisionist though.

First off before you lecture anyone on the subject of intellectual honesty and spin, you better look in the mirror. I don't know about you, but I learned by the third grade that these two sentences would not be considered the same: "I still believe he is our best starter," versus, "I believe he will be their best pitcher." So tell yourself you those two statements are the same and then instead of lecturing me on spin and intellectual honesty, maybe an apology is in order. And since you are two lazy apparently to look up the stats and also somehow spin it that I was only looking at "one start," when I clearly stated for his entire career he has been good at home and terrible on the road, here you are: CAREER ERA at home: 3.19 vrs 4.95 on road and yes that road ERA if he pitched that badly at home would take him out of the rotation imo, as almost 5 runs per game is indeed terrible, especially for a guy with an upper 90's fastball and a nice split finger pitch, CAREER WHIP at home: 1.14 versus Road: 1.38 and CAREER: BABIP at home: 2.76 versus Road: 3.20. So those are the facts, and you said you thought he was our best starter - and all I did was point out you must not watch Tillman pitch, who by the way is now 7-1 and Gausman hasn't had a road win since 2014. He should be much better than he is with his arm, but he's not.

I happen to agree that Tillman has been and is likely to remain our best starter in 2016, and your career stats for Gausman are fair enough. However, he's been pretty good in 3 of 4 road starts in 2016:

5.0 IP 1 ER

6.0 IP 3 ER

6.2 IP 1 ER

5.0 IP 4 ER

Overall, 3.42 road ERA in 2016. You can't really complain about that.

There's never been anything revisionist about my belief Gausman will be our best starter by the end of the season. Your assertions were just an attack on one statement I made. Again, you disregarded any of the critique I included about him in the OP you quoted.

I am impressed by your use of the word revisionist though.

There you go again with the revisionist or more accurately false statement as you never stated "by the end of the year" in your original post that I took you to task for. Had you done so I would never have replied at all on this thread as you could be correct. You said you still thought Gausman was our best starter. Quit trying to weasel out of it like a politician! Just man up and admit you made a mistake! How hard is that??

There you go again with the revisionist or more accurately false statement as you never stated "by the end of the year" in your original post that I took you to task for. Had you done so I would never have replied at all on this thread as you could be correct. You said you still thought Gausman was our best starter. Quit trying to weasel out of it like a politician! Just man up and admit you made a mistake! How hard is that??

You're right about the wording, but I've said it before (Post #71). And in the context I made the rest of the post it was quite clear I think he needs improvement before "he becomes a dominant starter." Anyone who wasn't in attack mode would see that.

Here's another question: Tillman "won" yesterday but was his start on the road better than that of Gausman the last time out vs Houston? They both gave up four runs. The difference is the team scored more runs for Tillman than they did for Gausman.

You're right about the wording, but I've said it before (Post #71). And in the context I made the rest of the post it was quite clear I think he needs improvement before "he becomes a dominant starter." Anyone who wasn't in attack mode would see that.

Here's another question: Tillman "won" yesterday but was his start on the road better than that of Gausman the last time out vs Houston? They both gave up four runs. The difference is the team scored more runs for Tillman than they did for Gausman.

Obviously Gausman has certain character flaws that cause his teammates to not score for him. Probably has to do with the tattoos.

Please put him on ignore please. Please don't respond to him if he responds to you.

Of course I do realize Gausman has pitched much better than his record and had more than his share of bad luck and poor run support. Tillman was four leave clover lucky to get his 7th win thanks to Kim's homer, O'Day's Houdini act and Britton's magic after looking like the game was headed for a loss. But Tillman also gave up just two runs the game before and didn't get a win so it evens out usually.

Of course I do realize Gausman has pitched much better than his record and had more than his share of bad luck and poor run support. Tillman was four leave clover lucky to get his 7th win thanks to Kim's homer, O'Day's Houdini act and Britton's magic after looking like the game was headed for a loss. But Tillman also gave up just two runs the game before and didn't get a win so it evens out usually.

Or it's almost as if wins aren't a good indicator of a pitcher's success.

Archived