Kevin Gausman believes the curve is his third pitch

wildcard

I still think he's their best starter, but he needs to nail down a few things before he takes the step of becoming a consistently dominant starting pitcher. Too many hits on 0-2 and he needs better FB command. I'd like to see him pitch in more with the FB instead of letting guys get extended, but I think he defers to Wieters. If they sit dead red on 95+ out over the plate it's much easier to handle than in on the hands. Number nine guys in the order shouldn't be that difficult.

If you actually believe he is truly their "best" starter (whatever that means-best stuff possibly?) all I can say is you must not have watched a single game pitched this year by Tillman as it isn't even close!! Tillman has it all over him. Gausman is flat out bad in the road and if not for his home games wouldn't even warrant being in the rotation.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gausman is flat out bad in the road and if not for his home games wouldn't even warrant being in the rotation.

Yeah, his 2016 road split of a 3.57 ERA, 2.84 xFiP, and opponent slash line of .239/.295/.425 makes him just a horrible road pitcher. No more road starts for this bum!

Yeah, his 2016 road split of a 3.57 ERA, 2.84 xFiP, and opponent slash line of .239/.295/.425 makes him just a horrible road pitcher. No more road starts for this bum!

So what? I guess that is more important then the fact he hasn't won a road game since 2O14 and it's not just lack of run support. If he was so great how about a shutout for once? It is such an issue for him how poorly he pitches on the road that Dave Johnson (former O's pitcher) said he thinks Gausman has trouble adapting to different mounds and backgrounds in various stadiums as he is night and day better at home.

So what? I guess that is more important then the fact he hasn't won a road game since 2O14 and it's not just lack of run support. If he was so great how about a shutout for once? It is such an issue for him how poorly he pitches on the road that Dave Johnson (former O's pitcher) said he thinks Gausman has trouble adapting to different mounds and backgrounds in various stadiums as he is night and day better at home.

Hey, smart guy. What's the bar?

You didn't mean CG SO did you? Well, then I guess Tillman isn't very good because he hasn't thrown one either. And apparently you missed Tillman's road start in Texas which put his ERA over 5 at the time. I didn't, I was there. Should Buck have pulled him from any further starts on the road after that game?

Gausman has started four games on the road. He gave up one earned over 5IP in TB and recently vs the Angels one earned over 8IP. The game in Minnesota was average (3 earned over 6 IP but 9 SO) and the Orioles did win the game.

And the post you quoted from me, did you not see the entire post? Or, was it easier to select the one line which you disagreed with based on not even half a season to have your rant? Please inform all of us next time Dave Johnson speaks regarding pitching, too. I know I was on the edge of my seat listening to you repeat his "theory".

You didn't mean CG SO did you? Well, then I guess Tillman isn't very good because he hasn't thrown one either. And apparently you missed Tillman's road start in Texas which put his ERA over 5 at the time. I didn't, I was there. Should Buck have pulled him from any further starts on the road after that game?

Gausman has started four games on the road. He gave up one earned over 5IP in TB and recently vs the Angels one earned over 8IP. The game in Minnesota was average (3 earned over 6 IP but 9 SO) and the Orioles did win the game.

And the post you quoted from me, did you not see the entire post? Or, was it easier to select the one line which you disagreed with based on not even half a season to have your rant? Please inform all of us next time Dave Johnson speaks regarding pitching, too. I know I was on the edge of my seat listening to you repeat his "theory".

When they pull out pitching wins it is time to back away slowly from the conversation.

Insult me, insult Dave Johnson all you like but you would have to be blind as a bat to think Gausman is a better pitcher now than Chris Tillman. And minimize wins all you want but one reason Tillman wins games is he hangs around long enough to get a win and keeps his team in the game. I don't know what games you are watching but Tillman can win games even when he doesnt have his best stuff whereas I have yet to see that from Gausman.

When they pull out pitching wins it is time to back away slowly from the conversation.

Who would you rather have Pitching a game for you Denny McLain (probably way before your time but I saw him pitch the season he won 30 games) or a pitcher with a 1-14 record?

So you just throw out how wretched he was also on the road last season too right? He hasn't been good on the road when you actually look at his entire body of work in the majors - much better at home. That is beyond dispute.

While I agree wins alone don't always tell how well a pitcher pitches short term, but over a career they certainly do, as you don't see too many hall of famers with few wins or with a lopsided losing record. In fact 300 wins is considered a lock to get you in.

Archived