Kevin Gausman believes the curve is his third pitch

wildcard

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good Article about the cutter and DD banning it.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2012/08/dan-duquette-on-the-os-pitching-philosophy-we-dont-like-the-cutter.html

Its 4 years old, but DD hasn't changed his mind.

Has Duquette said this recently? Very bad news if he has. If he still harbors this idea we might as well trade Bundy now if we can -- even though that would be selling low. Let some other team with a clearer vision develop him without this baseless prejudice.

Has Duquette said this recently? Very bad news if he has. If he still harbors this idea we might as well trade Bundy now if we can -- even though that would be selling low. Let some other team with a clearer vision develop him without this baseless prejudice.

Is his cutter a MLB pitch? Now? After his arm injuries? I would assume that the team knows more about that than you and I.

Let some other team with a clearer vision develop him without this baseless prejudice.

is it a baseless prejudice? Or were the Orioles concerned about his arm health. As they were forced to put him on the MLB roster from the start? Did the workout warrior damage himself? Or did the Orioles.

Using this more specific three-factor model, the r-squared was 0.11 and both Slider/Cutter % and vertical release point variance had p-values < 0.05, while BMI was still just below 0.10. The theories that a more varied vertical release point can lead to more elbow injuries may have some validity to it, as are the theories that increased use of sliders/cutters have the same detrimental effect. Increased BMI was weakly and negatively correlated with elbow injury – meaning if the effect is real, the bigger you are, the less likely you are to suffer an elbow injury.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/pitching-injuries-a-pitchf-x-look/

There might be a cost involved, however: Cutters, splitters and even sliders generally are understood to involve torque more in the elbow and the forearm — unlike fastballs, where most of the effort comes from the shoulder. Even with curveballs, the effort comes from the shoulder and the wrist rather than the elbow.

The more torque on the elbow and forearm, the more susceptibility for injury. The splitter fell out of fashion in the 1990s after pitchers like John Smoltz complained of elbow pain and shelved it. Felix Doubront didn’t throw his first cutter in a game until his final start of spring training; when asked why, he just pointed to his forearm.

“When guys come to the big leagues, they realize it’s a tighter strike zone, so you’ve got to get a breaking ball that you can throw inside the zone and move off the bat head,” Farrell said in spring training. “It’s an easier pitch to throw. The catch-22 of it is that it can wreak havoc on the elbow.”

http://www.providencejournal.com/article/20140413/SPORTS/304139973

He threw a "slider" while he was up for his cup of coffee a few years ago.

Is his cutter a MLB pitch? Now? After his arm injuries? I would assume that the team knows more about that than you and I.

There was an exhaustive discussion about Duquette's banning of the cutter on this board before we knew Bundy had arm problems -- at which time I wrote about why I don't share your assumption.

This time around I'll just say I don't buy into statements that rest their authenticity on the old "appeal to authority fallacy". A statement needs to stand on it's own based on real evidence that can be marshalled in its behalf. What "experts" think without evidence is no more or less important than what you and I think without evidence. If at this point you can believe that those who have been developing Bird pitching are, in fact, experts.

What "experts" think without evidence is no more or less important than what you and I think without evidence. If at this point you can believe that those who have been developing Bird pitching are' date=' in fact, experts.[/quote']

I don't believe it is a fallacy. I believe that there is some evidence that it is a health issue.

Not my idea. Logic 101.

Your idea to brand my statement as that. Been a long time since school for me too. Just because I don't believe you know more than people who get paid to do it does not make my thoughts incorrect. By intro classwork standards.

Archived