Fangraphs: The Beginning of the End, Or the End of the Beginning?

weams

I think the biggest problem with implementation in the MLB is that for tennis you're dealing with static boundaries, while there is a dynamic batter-to-batter strike zone in baseball. Resetting the machine every batter would be a bit difficult and inherently subjective. While the current system is subjective, I think I am more comfortable (and I assume many others are as well) with such a ruling coming from a human than a machine, as that becomes a bit black box.

Have you seen the MLBAM stuff?

I don't doubt that they can have presets for every MLB hitter. You might have an issue when you have someone called up but within a couple of games they would have it.

Have you seen the MLBAM stuff?

I don't doubt that they can have presets for every MLB hitter. You might have an issue when you have someone called up but within a couple of games they would have it.

No I have not, I will need to check that out.

How do the players react? Do they welcome it over the umps OR does disagreement ratchet up several levels when they don't like a call? Maybe this would just be an early growing pain, but it is something worthy of considering.

Watch any tennis match and you can see that they can place were a 120+ MPH serve lands within a millimeter and its pretty obvious the technology exists to aid Umps but that its not currently being utilized or applied. Not a criticism as there are arguments for and against implementing such technology, just an observation.

Devil's advocate here - tennis is easier because the in/out determination is made at the point of contact (ball to court). The baseball strike zone OTOH exists only in mid air.

I've up umpired woman's softball games at the Varsity level and unlimited leagues. The experience with dealing with this subject is pretty easy since you determine if the glove is set up on/off the plate (if the pitcher throws right into the glove is it indeed a strike?) , second look for movement of the glove in order to catch the pitch....is the direction away from the plate as pitchers usually aim for the corners.

Despair the criticism from fans, parents, and media it's a hard job. Umpires tend to have their own interpretation of the strike zone....in Softball it is from the ladies arm pit to knee. If you called anything above the belt in a Varsity game in anything other than a blowout the reaction from the coaches, players, fans would be over the top....the would file a complaint....and I didn't have to deal with slow motion replay technology.

Again it's a hard job....at some point I had always thought that a sports enthusiast scientist would invent glasses that would assist in those calls....don't know how it would work or what it would be ....but I've figured sooner or later someone would come up with something....each year they try to improve the players equipment, bats that are harder, lighter, balls with a harder core, manipulated stitches to aid grip on the ball, why not try to come up with something to aid the officials.

I am sure it is a hard job. But I like the human element. If the umpire is yelled at

and cursed then so be it. Sorry but I don't want to see computers or any gadgets being used by umpires. Someone's always going to fuss at the umpire no matter

what you call. Sorry but I see a game that I have loved since childhood being

changed. IMO

No I have not, I will need to check that out.

How do the players react? Do they welcome it over the umps OR does disagreement ratchet up several levels when they don't like a call? Maybe this would just be an early growing pain, but it is something worthy of considering.

You misunderstood me.

I don't mean that they are showcasing the technology already.

Just that what I have seen indicates to me that they could do it. I think the technology is available.

There was a robo ump in the minors last year.

http://www.allgov.com/news/unusual-news/robot-umpire-calls-balls-and-strikes-in-two-minor-league-games-150810?news=857251

Although Longo didn’t specify whether he was praising the system or sneaking in a dig at the league’s regular umpires, PITCHf/x drew some praise from players and even the umpires whose jobs it might take. They said the system—which leaves them free to watch for foul balls and checked swings, and act as review officials—helped speed the game along.

To make its calls, PITCHf/x uses three cameras to look at the strike zone for each batter. In the two Pacifics games, the computer balked only once, when it overheated.

Well, when a buddy sends me a link to me getting fooled by a catcher's frame job, I'm going to remember which one it was.

When I get my performance review, you know after every game I ump behind the plate, I'm going to remember which catchers deceived me into miscalling pitches.

I get graded on my performance. I get plum post season assignments partially based on my performance.

If a catcher's tricks are causing my performance to dip, I'd see to rectify that situation.

I can understand your point but I'd rather technology not be used to aid the

umpire on calls. I know umpires have a hard job. I wouldn't want to do that job.

You are loved one minute by the fans then hated the next minute. IMO

umpire on calls. I know umpires have a hard job. I wouldn't want to do that job.

You are loved one minute by the fans then hated the next minute. IMO

I'd rather they get as many calls right as possible.

For instance we know, for a fact, that the count alters the umpire's interpretation of the strike zone.

umpire on calls.

It would be an aid. The umps would immediately know if the machine called it a ball or a strike. The ump is then free to call as he wishes. When he overrules the technology I'm sure he will be given the opportunity to explain why.

I think the biggest problem with implementation in the MLB is that for tennis you're dealing with static boundaries, while there is a dynamic batter-to-batter strike zone in baseball. Resetting the machine every batter would be a bit difficult and inherently subjective. While the current system is subjective, I think I am more comfortable (and I assume many others are as well) with such a ruling coming from a human than a machine, as that becomes a bit black box.

My thought was a pair of glasses that assist with the zone. Most umps crouch or kneel. Not sure how they'd work ....but one guy once said that a pair of glasses could have lines to indicate ark on a softball pitch. Again I have no idea ....but I think it could be done

Archived