Report: Orioles interested in Padres Andrew Cashner

Tony-OH

Maybe you flip them Worley? He's under team control for three years and might do well in San Diego.

Cashner: 3.59 ERA, 3.63 FIP, 100 ERA+, 1.27 WHIP, 3.0 BB/9, 7.5 K/9

Worley: 3.79 ERA, 3.76 FIP, 102 ERA+, 1.39 WHIP, 2.6 BB/9, 6.9 K/9

Cashner's main advantages are he has proven capable of throwing more innings, and he allows fewer H/9.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mancini and Wright feels like way too much to me to pick up a guy coming off a bad year who is a free agent in a year. I realize that neither Mancini nor Wright is any sure thing, but that's giving up guys you control for 12 years to get a guy you control for one year, and who isn't that big of a difference maker.

To put it in some sort of context, when we acquired Kevin Millwood (who we paid $9 mm, with the Rangers paying $3 mm), we gave up Chris Ray (coming off a 7.27 ERA following TJ surgery) and some minor who never actually played in our organization names Ben Snyder.

I'd be fine dealing Mancini or Wright, but not for this kind of player. I'd either want a player of Cashner's quality but more than one year of control, or a better player than Cashner.

How about Walker and Matusz?

Great post. If they want us to discuss Mancini, they better be open to discussing Tyson Ross.

I didn't say he would perform badly, just questioned why a rebuilding team would need a LOOGY in his walk year.

I don't think him being a local boy would make much of a difference. Do you see them selling more tickets because he's on the team?

I could see San Diego making Matusz a starter in that spacious field hoping to bump his value to flip at the deadline or offer a QO for the pick.

Its risky, but if they can get a prospect in the package and a shot at turning Matusz into something more, it could happen.

Not much to see here. The Orioles, obviously, are interested in any pitcher that can fog up a mirror. My bet is that they come up with at least one before the season starts, and hope to strike lightning. But at this point, I don't put much stock in this rumor.

Maybe you flip them Worley? He's under team control for three years and might do well in San Diego.

Cashner: 3.59 ERA, 3.63 FIP, 100 ERA+, 1.27 WHIP, 3.0 BB/9, 7.5 K/9

Worley: 3.79 ERA, 3.76 FIP, 102 ERA+, 1.39 WHIP, 2.6 BB/9, 6.9 K/9

Cashner's main advantages are he has proven capable of throwing more innings, and he allows fewer H/9.

San Diego passed on Worley as a waiver claim. I'd be surprised.

Wow... I'm not in on this Cashner guy at all... Padres are reportedly open to trading James Shields. If we're willing to give up Bundy along with several other players, then we might be able to get him.

Why get another mediocre pitcher in Cashner when we could potentially get Shields for three years.

Fans of just about every team in MLB are speculating on the web about their team trading their unwanted players for Ross. I don't see it happening. Ross stays in SD, IMO, unless they are offered a mega deal. The Padres surely know what they have in Ross.

As to Cashner, hard for me to see a deal for him, either. He is a free agent after the season and is coming off a bad year. I don't think the Padres let him go for what teams are willing to give for him, and I don't think teams are willing to give up what the Padres would require. Maybe a deadline deal if he returns to form in the first half.

Wow... I'm not in on this Cashner guy at all... Padres are reportedly open to trading James Shields. If we're willing to give up Bundy along with several other players, then we might be able to get him.

Why get another mediocre pitcher in Cashner when we could potentially get Shields for three years.

Shields isn't worth his contract.

No way I give up Bundy ++ just so I can acquire an albatross.

If the Padres manage to find a sucker for Shields they will have to eat money to get anything more than a warm body.

2016 Contract details by year 34 $21,000,000 $21,000,000

2017 Contract details by year 35 $21,000,000 $21,000,000

2018 Contract details by year 36 $21,000,000 $21,000,000

2019 Contract details by year 37 $16,000,000 $16,000,000

With an buyout for 2 million on the 2019.

He was worth 0.2 WAR last year. He is 34. He was worth 1.3 WAR two years ago. Chris Tillman was worth 0.8 last year and 2.4 the year before.

If Mancini and Wright are part of a deal with SD, then the Orioles should be getting back Tyson Ross.

Speaking of Ross, he's sort of the Oakland A's version of Jake Arrieta (though obviously not quite as good). 6-18, 5.33 ERA for Oakland, 26-34, 3.07 ERA for San Diego. The two players Beane got in exchange have amounted to nothing.

Archived