Report: Orioles interested in Padres Andrew Cashner

Tony-OH

I would definitely prefer Walker and Wright rather than Mancini, but I imagine the Padres will want Mancini rather than Walker. Remember, not everyone is convinced Mancini is a sure thing. His trade value is not that high and won't be unless he can put up some number in AAA next year.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see the O's trading Wright or Wilson for Cashner. The O's need more than 5 starters to get through the season. There are always injuries and/or non performance.

The Davis signing made Mancini, Walker and/or even Trumbo available for trade. Pedro Alvarez is still out there to DH.

Say no to cashner. I live in SD, guy is an enigma and a thrower. You guys will be disappointed. Basically anything the padres would want is an overpay

After looking at his home-road splits, even for his good years in '13-'14, he's going to be a 4.00 to 4.50 ERA pitcher in Camden Yards, probably like what Ubaldo Jimenez/Kevin Gausman gave us last year. I think the woeful defense in San Diego hurt Cashner in 2015.

Would rather spend the money on Latos (again provided his knee is ok), but there is a bargain price for which I go get Cashner. I don't think he's any worse than Ian Kennedy and he somehow got 5 yr, $70 mil.

I would definitely prefer Walker and Wright rather than Mancini, but I imagine the Padres will want Mancini rather than Walker. Remember, not everyone is convinced Mancini is a sure thing. His trade value is not that high and won't be unless he can put up some number in AAA next year.

The Padres will also look at statcast statistics in their assessment. Not just counting stats.

Mancini and Wright feels like way too much to me to pick up a guy coming off a bad year who is a free agent in a year. I realize that neither Mancini nor Wright is any sure thing, but that's giving up guys you control for 12 years to get a guy you control for one year, and who isn't that big of a difference maker.

To put it in some sort of context, when we acquired Kevin Millwood (who we paid $9 mm, with the Rangers paying $3 mm), we gave up Chris Ray (coming off a 7.27 ERA following TJ surgery) and some minor who never actually played in our organization names Ben Snyder.

I'd be fine dealing Mancini or Wright, but not for this kind of player. I'd either want a player of Cashner's quality but more than one year of control, or a better player than Cashner.

How about Walker and Matusz?

Why would a rebuilding team want a year of Matusz?

I hope everyone has a new automatic trade thrown-in ready for 2017 since Matusz won't be around anymore.

Walker is the rebuild piece, Matusz is the "some value now" piece. He did his college pitching in San Diego and would probably do well in the NL West.

Walker is the rebuild piece, Matusz is the "some value now" piece. He did his college pitching in San Diego and would probably do well in the NL West.

I didn't say he would perform badly, just questioned why a rebuilding team would need a LOOGY in his walk year.

I don't think him being a local boy would make much of a difference. Do you see them selling more tickets because he's on the team?

Yea I wouldn't mind seeing his AAA numbers, especially in Norfolk. I am sure if you traded him he would rake in the PCL and then get called up and his numbers would fade in Petco.

I didn't say he would perform badly, just questioned why a rebuilding team would need a LOOGY in his walk year.

I don't think him being a local boy would make much of a difference. Do you see them selling more tickets because he's on the team?

They wouldn't sell more tickets, but in that ballpark, and his #'s the last few seasons as a LOOGY, I think it's likely they could get something for him at the deadline.

Mancini and Wright feels like way too much to me to pick up a guy coming off a bad year who is a free agent in a year. I realize that neither Mancini nor Wright is any sure thing, but that's giving up guys you control for 12 years to get a guy you control for one year, and who isn't that big of a difference maker.

To put it in some sort of context, when we acquired Kevin Millwood (who we paid $9 mm, with the Rangers paying $3 mm), we gave up Chris Ray (coming off a 7.27 ERA following TJ surgery) and some minor who never actually played in our organization names Ben Snyder.

I'd be fine dealing Mancini or Wright, but not for this kind of player. I'd either want a player of Cashner's quality but more than one year of control, or a better player than Cashner.

How about Walker and Matusz?

I was thinking the exact same package. They'd have an opportunity to extend Matusz before he hits free agency. Sign him to a LOOGY contract, say 3/15, and convert him to starter.

Also, I wouldn't do a Mancini/Wright deal for Cashner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't like Cashner for one of the top 5 prospects. That said, if the Orioles are going to acquire pitching, I would rather see Mancini for a pitcher with multiple years of control or a trade for a 1 year guy before the season so the QO is still a possibility after. No more of this trade deadline bull, you give up way to much and the QO is off the table. Build the depth before the season, not during.

Archived