Pressbox: Dan Duquette about the Orioles' upcoming season. Tune into @ABC2NEWS at 10:30 a.m.

weams

I think the only way a corner OF leads his league in OF putouts is if all the CF's miss a significant number of games. Rickey Henderson led the AL once, but his total was quite low compared to the number normally required to lead the league.

I found an odd glitch on BB-ref today when I was investigating how Rickey Henderson had led the league with only 327 putouts. First of all, when I mentioned that his total was quite low compared to what was usually required to lead the league, I failed to notice that the year he (supposedly) led the league was 1981, which was the strike season. So, that explains the low total.

But then I was curious to see who led all CF's in putouts this year. BB-ref shows that it was Henderson's teammate, Dwayne Murphy, with 329. But that's two more than Henderson's 327! For some reason, BB-ref shows Murphy with 329 putouts in CF, but only 326 as an OF. It doesn't make any sense, and I've written to BB-ref for an explanation or correction. If I'm right, I may have cost Henderson his 1981 outfield putouts crown! It is still impressive that as a LF he recorded so many putouts, with a very rangy CF playing right next to him. Henderson's 412 putouts in LF in 1980 (in 157 games) was the second-highest total ever recorded for a LF, and on a per-game basis, his 1981 total (327 in 107 games) blows that out of the water. That was one heck of an OF the A's had in the early 80's.

I found an odd glitch on BB-ref today when I was investigating how Rickey Henderson had led the league with only 327 putouts. First of all, when I mentioned that his total was quite low compared to what was usually required to lead the league, I failed to notice that the year he (supposedly) led the league was 1981, which was the strike season. So, that explains the low total.

But then I was curious to see who led all CF's in putouts this year. BB-ref shows that it was Henderson's teammate, Dwayne Murphy, with 329. But that's two more than Henderson's 327! For some reason, BB-ref shows Murphy with 329 putouts in CF, but only 326 as an OF. It doesn't make any sense, and I've written to BB-ref for an explanation or correction. If I'm right, I may have cost Henderson his 1981 outfield putouts crown! It is still impressive that as a LF he recorded so many putouts, with a very rangy CF playing right next to him. Henderson's 412 putouts in LF in 1980 (in 157 games) was the second-highest total ever recorded for a LF, and on a per-game basis, his 1981 total (327 in 107 games) blows that out of the water. That was one heck of an OF the A's had in the early 80's.

Got to think that the pitching staff must have also included a number of fly-ball pitchers and that the large Oakland outfield played a role, as well. Fewer home runs going out with high flyball pitchers means more putout opportunities.

Got to think that the pitching staff must have also included a number of fly-ball pitchers and that the large Oakland outfield played a role, as well. Fewer home runs going out with high flyball pitchers means more putout opportunities.

I am sure, Ricky's speed allowed him to cover more ground than a normal COF.

Archived