My plan to finish the off season

wildcard

I really would like to see Trumbo traded but I don't see it happening.

I'm beginning to think the reality is Gallardo. Needless to say (with or without Gallardo) I think this has been a terrible offseason.

What I want: Alex Wood and Ethier for Bundy, Brach, and Trumbo and sign Alvarez

What I think will actually happen: Gallardo

Bundy has no place on the Dodgers. Why would they trade for him? Why would any contender trade for him?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As many of you know I don't think the O's will go over 130m counting deferred money this year. They are currently at about 126m. And they still have needs. So here are the moves that I think they could make.

1) Trade Trumbo to the Cards in a salary dump that bring back a minor leaguer. Result it to free up 9.1M to spend elsewhere.

The Cards were 25th in runs scored and 24 in homers last year. They lost Heyward (and Lackey) to NL Central arrive the Cubs. The Cubs got better and the Cards need offense. They need to make a move to stay at the top of the division. Moss can play in the OF some and Trumbo can compete with Adams for the 1B job.

2) Sign Pedro Alvarez for 5m with 1m deferred. Net 4M.

Alvarez will DH vs righties and platoon with Reimold or D. Alvarez who both hit lefties. P Alvarez and Trumbo both strikeout about 25-30% of the time and both have power and RBi capability so the only thing that is lost is the ability to hit lefties which the O's can cover. Kim and Flaherty can backup 1B but Davis plays there 95% of the time. Walker and Mancini are available if needed.

Pedro adds a lefty bat which balances the lineup. Just a side benefit.

Now the O's have 9m to spend.

3) Sign Matt Lato if healthy. 6M base with incentives. I have no way of knowing how healthy Latos is but he is the best fit for the O's IMO if healthy.

4) With the offense the O's have they can let Kim, Reimold, Dariel Alvarez, Rickard, Hoes and Urrutia complete for the corner OF spot in ST. The O's have enough power. What the really need out of the corner OFers is OBP and defense. Defense that helps the pitchers.

5) Latos becomes the O's 4th starter and Miguel Gonzalez moves to 5th. Miguel has an option. And he can move up and down when and if the O's need an optionable pitcher. Yes, he is more established then that and if he pitches well he will be hard to option but Miguel does need rest now and then. So its up to him to prove he doesn't need to be optioned.

6) The pen is Britton, O'Day, Givens, Brach, Matusz and Worley as the long man/spot starter. Bundy gets a spot if he is healthy but I think the O's start the season with him on the DL and avoid him pitching is the cold weather. He comes up in May. Roe, McFarland or Drake can fill the last spot for a while.

7) This plan keeps the O's first round draft choice, improves the offense over last year with the addition of Pedro, and Latos adds to the rotation.

Can Dan do this? What Dan does well is stay in budget by moving players and exploit what is left on market in February. So yes I think he can make these moves.

What say you?

I don't know. It's just a shame this team is in this mess because the owner bends

over for Chris's pet dog. What a mess. What you suggest could be a way to go for

improvement of the team. IMO

Let me rephrase so this doesn't become a trade idea roast.

What I want is completely different from what I think will happen.

In other words you want things that can't happen in the real world as we know it. I understand, I want things like that too. I want to be Anthony Hopkins. I think there's a lot of that going around here when it comes to the Orioles.

The other part was if Davis did sign, Trumbo can easily play at DH or COF. His versatility makes him worth the $9mil. He'll play mostly DH, but he'll see some time at 1B and RF probably.

Not to mention, if Trumbo has a good season, he could get that all important Qualifying Offer. He's going to see a little time at 1B, a little at RF, and mostly at DH. He's in that gray area.

In other words you want things that can't happen in the real world as we know it. I understand, I want things like that too. I want to be Anthony Hopkins. I think there's a lot of that going around here when it comes to the Orioles.

You want to sell out for Turbo Tax commercials, lol?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the plan, but I don't think it will happen. I agree what is needed from the corner OFs is defense and OBP, but I don't think any of the current guys is a plus defender. I'm not happy with the OF options.

We haven't heard a whisper from the FO about Latos, have we? I mean, it seems like that is not happening.

I still feel a trade for a starter will happen.

I like the plan, but I don't think it will happen. I agree what is needed from the corner OFs is defense and OBP, but I don't think any of the current guys is a plus defender. I'm not happy with the OF options.

We haven't heard a whisper from the FO about Latos, have we? I mean, it seems like that is not happening.

I still feel a trade for a starter will happen.

We did hear much about Trumbo before they traded for him. We don't always get a heads up.

Why did I know you would say that? However, Trumbo is expensive for being a DH.

So he's too expensive to be a DH, but he's not too expensive to be the short half of a first base platoon for the Cardinals? How are you going to get the Cardinals -- a well-run team -- to pay $9 million and give up a prospect for a guy who would mostly be a bench player for them?

So he's too expensive to be a DH, but he's not too expensive to be the short half of a first base platoon for the Cardinals? How are you going to get the Cardinals -- a well-run team -- to pay $9 million and give up a prospect for a guy who would mostly be a bench player for them?

I don't think the Cards would platoon Trumbo. He would be the first baseman. I think he would beat out Matt Adams. As a first basement he would be worth 9m.

The Cards needs offense. Trumbo has a better chance to be a solid 1B than any one they have. Moss can go help out in the OF. The Cards lost Heyward. They need to replace his offense and then some. They don't want to stay 25th in runs. JMO.

If Trumbo is overpaid as a DH, it can't be more than a mil or 2. Plus he will see a few starts in the field to keep guys fresh, which is totally defensible assuming he doesn't see as much RF as Delmon did.

He just strikes me as the last thing we should be worried about.

You missed the point. Trade Trumbo at 9m. Sign Pedro Alvarez at 5m with one deferred. Now the O's have 5M more to sign a starter.

Archived