Olney: Changes in Second Base Slide for 2016

weams

You can eliminate ones that are easy to fix, and risks that don't serve any purpose but to injure the other person.

One of these two players had a broken leg. Can you guess which one?

9468223-large.jpg

Another picture of two players. Which one?

jung-ho-kang-and-chris-coghlan-9-17-2015.jpg

And another:

image.jpg

How many were preventable? All of them. There's no reason why baseball should allow players to injure other players to save a baserunner at first.

Per the new rule, Everyone of these slides would be legal.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You think Utley was making a "bona fide attempt to reach and remain on the base"?

Or for that matter the first runner.

I know if this play happened this year he would say he was and there is no evidence that he was not. We are opening the door to umpire opinion. That is a bad thing in any sport.

This rule is an over reaction to one play, just as the Posey rule was.

It is just another example of the softening of the country. Everyone gets a trophy, all your art work is beautiful Johnny, we don't keep score.

Lets go further. If the 2nd baseman gets to the bag and you are out, why are you allowed to slide at all? The play is over. No sense risking injury. The runner should have to pull up.

Really, if Johnny is out why should he side anyway? His feelings are already hurt by being out. He should just stand in the base line and the 1st base coach should be allowed to run out and put his arm around him and walk him back to the dugout.

I know if this play happened this year he would say he was and there is no evidence that he was not. We are opening the door to umpire opinion. That is a bad thing in any sport.

It is just another example of the softening of the country. Everyone gets a trophy, all your art work is beautiful Johnny, we don't keep score.

Lets go further. If the 2nd baseman gets to the bag and you are out, why are you allowed to slide at all? The play is over. No sense risking injury. The runner should have to pull up.

Really, if Johnny is out why should he side anyway? His feelings are already hurt by being out. He should just stand in the base line and the 1st base coach should be allowed to run out and put his arm around him and walk him back to the dugout.

The first runner is clearly not reaching for the bag only inches away from his hand and Utley's hand is in the air what looks to be a good eight inches over the bag.

They both should be called under this new rule. If not the Umps are not doing their jobs.

I fine it funny, in a sad way, that you say this is a reaction to a single incident after you were provided three examples of the phenomenon, two of which occurred last season.

The first runner is clearly not reaching for the bag only inches away from his hand and Utley's hand is in the air what looks to be a good eight inches over the bag.

They both should be called under this new rule. If not the Umps are not doing their jobs.

I fine it funny, in a sad way, that you say this is a reaction to a single incident after you were provided three examples of the phenomenon, two of which occurred last season.

I am very confident in saying, if this did not happen in the playoffs. There would be no rule change.

The first runner is, as you say inches from the bag. He will reach his hand out this year. Same slide, Same result. So Utley isn't the best of sliders. He is within the rule. That is my opinion. You have a different opinion. There in lies the problem.

You're making an excellent case for whatever you're opposing.

You're making an excellent case for whatever you're opposing.

If you don't see the sarcasm, I cant help you. Maybe if my WAR+-/REX16 was higher I could have presented it better. But I am busy working on getting my OPS+6tothe2nd power above -125. People in 1897 would have gotten it.

If you don't see the sarcasm, I cant help you. Maybe if my WAR+-/REX16 was higher I could have presented it better. But I am busy working on getting my OPS+6tothe2nd power above -125. People in 1897 would have gotten it.

You make an excellent point. I now am in favor of spikes-first slides 14 feet out of the baseline to make America great again.

You make an excellent point. I now am in favor of spikes-first slides 14 feet out of the baseline to make America great again.

I hear Bernie loves the rule change. Everyone wins. In fact, I think they are going to start playing for funsies. Then just flip a coin to see who gets the win.

Archived