First Trip to Spring Training

Orsulak4Prez

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In my only, but not last, visit to Sarasota I made a wrong turn or two trying to get to Siesta Key. I'm sure that beer had NOTHING to do with it :scratchchinhmm: The wife and I ended up at St. Armand's Circle. We had a great time there and ended up dining at a restaurant called Columbia. I believe it is a Cuban restaurant. Great times.

Give yourself ample beach time when you plan. The Gulf beaches are nothing like the Atlantic beaches and are truly amazing.

Columbia is great.

• 11 months later...
On 2/15/2016 at 9:06 PM, Rich Mac said:

In my only, but not last, visit to Sarasota I made a wrong turn or two trying to get to Siesta Key. I'm sure that beer had NOTHING to do with it :scratchchinhmm: The wife and I ended up at St. Armand's Circle. We had a great time there and ended up dining at a restaurant called Columbia. I believe it is a Cuban restaurant. Great times.

Give yourself ample beach time when you plan. The Gulf beaches are nothing like the Atlantic beaches and are truly amazing.

Columbia is awesome. 

I should follow up on my experience since I started this thread last year with some questions. 

My friend and I went down for a weekend in March and had a really nice time. We never did make it to the beach, which I regret. We stayed a few miles out of town so we took an Uber into town Friday and there were plenty of places to eat and drink. We also saw a few local music acts.

We attended a game that Saturday against the Rays. Ed Smith Stadium was nice. It was surreal watching an O's home game with palm trees in the background.

I would totally do this again, but I have three little ones including a nine month old, so I don't think it will happen this year. My friend and his wife are expecting their second child soon, so he is in the same boat. I am sure we'll do it again in a few years! Maybe we can even bring the families when our kids are a bit older.

I will be heading down for the 3rd year in a row for spring break. Motorworks brewery is a cool place to visit in Bradenton, about 15 minutes from Ed Smith. Although a lot of pirate fans. Siesta Key is a must, SKOB is a favorite seafood place of mine there. Parking will be brutal though. If you're looking for other beaches, Anna Maria and Venice are not too far away and offer different things. 

Apparently CigarCity Brewery in Tampa is suppose to be really nice, but have never made it up there

I'm going March 11-18.    I got to a spring training game in Sarasota the year the O's moved there, before they renovated Ed Smith, but we were staying in St. Pete Beach and just drove down for the game.    So, I'm looking forward to checking out Sarasota at my leisure and getting to several games and seeing the renovated stadium.   We rented a condo for the week, so it should be very relaxed.  

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm going March 11-18.    I got to a spring training game in Sarasota the year the O's moved there, before they renovated Ed Smith, but we were staying in St. Pete Beach and just drove down for the game.    So, I'm looking forward to checking out Sarasota at my leisure and getting to several games and seeing the renovated stadium.   We rented a condo for the week, so it should be very relaxed.  

Fantastic. You will love it. I expect you to find a place next to Doc to invest in. 

Archived