Foulballs

weams

http://foulballz.com/foul-ball/foul-ball-rates-increase-of-2-5-fouls-per-mlb-game-over-last-30-years/

Over the years there have been a number of assertions made about foul ball rates, particularly the number of foul balls hit per Major League Baseball game on average. Speculation and random ball counts have been performed, but nothing that has been in-depth all. The most recent assertion comes in the foul ball injury lawsuit Gail Payne and others filed against Major League Baseball in July 2015 and amended in October 2015.

Several lawsuits concerning foul ball injuries over the course of the last decade have cited the "fact" that there are significantly more foul balls being hit each season and that they are going much faster than 100 years ago. However, the "significant increase" is inaccurate. The data show there?s been a statistically insignificant boost in foul rates in the last 30 years.

I've tallied the years 2011-2014 and compared them with the years of foul balls already totaled. What we are hearing from lawyers filing suits against MLB teams is the assumption there are significantly more foul balls now than 100 years ago, 20 years ago and even 10 years ago.

Well if you go to a game there is a certain amount of risk

with a possibility of being hit by a foul Ball. I am sorry that

some have been hurt by foul balls. If I was hit the last thing I

am going to do is sue the team. I don't know if more netting

could be put up at the stadiums. Pay attention.

I don't know about frequency, but it is true that the stands are much closer in the average park in 2016 than they were in 1980. Or, at least, there were many, many more parks with very large foul territory when I was a kid. Now it's Oakland... and that's pretty much it.

Since we are getting rid of hard wide slides at second base, we might as well put nets up everywhere. I propose all fans wear a Knight's helmet as well. Oh, and I've witnessed a fan tripping on the steps, so I'd eliminate steps in the stadium. You just can't be too safe these days.

http://foulballz.com/foul-ball/foul-ball-rates-increase-of-2-5-fouls-per-mlb-game-over-last-30-years/

Over the years there have been a number of assertions made about foul ball rates, particularly the number of foul balls hit per Major League Baseball game on average. Speculation and random ball counts have been performed, but nothing that has been in-depth all. The most recent assertion comes in the foul ball injury lawsuit Gail Payne and others filed against Major League Baseball in July 2015 and amended in October 2015.

Several lawsuits concerning foul ball injuries over the course of the last decade have cited the "fact" that there are significantly more foul balls being hit each season and that they are going much faster than 100 years ago. However, the "significant increase" is inaccurate. The data show there?s been a statistically insignificant boost in foul rates in the last 30 years.

I've tallied the years 2011-2014 and compared them with the years of foul balls already totaled. What we are hearing from lawyers filing suits against MLB teams is the assumption there are significantly more foul balls now than 100 years ago, 20 years ago and even 10 years ago.

Reasons cited for the increase in fan injuries in the article:

* Changes in bats

* Changes in balls

* Changes in types of pitches

* Changes in batting match-ups

* Changes in number of elite players

* Weather (Global Climate Change?)

* Improved pitching

* Improved batting

* Doctoring of balls and/or storage

I would be curious to know if whether or not people were paying attention to the game was a factor in some of these injuries ...... and if so, what percentage that they were.

I, for one, would not be happy about paying good money to sit low and then having to look through netting.

I understand backstops and netting for those that sit close to the plate because of the miniscule reaction time needed to avoid getting hit. However, I don't see a need to increase netting around ballparks. If you pay attention, you can get out of the way. If you can't pay attention or don't have the physical ability to get out of the way, then either sit behind the backstop or much further back. There are options.

* Changes in bats

* Changes in balls

* Improved pitching

* Improved batting

I would be curious to know if whether or not people were paying attention to the game was a factor in some of these injuries ...... and if so, what percentage that they were.

Bat speed and steroid abuse.

Since we are getting rid of hard wide slides at second base, we might as well put nets up everywhere. I propose all fans wear a Knight's helmet as well. Oh, and I've witnessed a fan tripping on the steps, so I'd eliminate steps in the stadium. You just can't be too safe these days.

Yes, the choice is always something like:

a) Walk in bare feet on broken glass

or

b) Institute a total ban on all glass and a constitutional amendment requiring steel-toe boots 24/7/365

Reasonable steps to try to have a decent thing are INSANE.

* Changes in bats

* Changes in balls

* Improved pitching

* Improved batting

I doubt any of those have any major impact. Some like the bats combined with higher Ks might have led to fewer fouls. If there are more injuries, and that's a big if, I think it's primarily closer seats and higher attendance.

Archived