MlbTraderumors: Orioles Notes

weams

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/297/files/2015/04/ryan-flaherty-buck-showalter-mlb-baltimore-orioles-boston-red-sox-850x560.jpg

Andrew Cashner wasn?t the only Padre to draw interest from the Orioles, as the O?s also discussed James Shields and Matt Kemp in talks with San Diego. Shields has been the subject of some trade speculation this winter but there hasn?t been much solid buzz around the veteran following his somewhat disappointing 2015 campaign. Shields allowed a career-high 17.6% homer rate last year despite pitching home games at Petco Park, which certainly would be a concern for a team playing in hitter-friendly Camden Yards. Shields ... owed $44MM in 2017-18 (counting the buyout of his 2019 club option). That opt-out and Shields' age make him a trickier trade candidate than Cashner, despite Shields' stronger career track record and history of success in the AL East.

Kemp, meanwhile, was also an Orioles target last winter before the outfielder was dealt from the Dodgers to the Padres. Kemp would provide the O's with a bat beyond their rumored targets of Dexter Fowler, Pedro Alvarez and Jay Bruce, and he might come at a discounted price since San Diego would obviously have to eat a healthy chunk of the $86MM owed to Kemp through the 2019 season (the Dodgers are also paying $14MM of that total). Kemp?s hitting has been inconsistent over the last three seasons, however, and Baltimore?s outfield defense would take a big hit with either Kemp or Mark Trumbo getting regular playing time. As Kubatko puts it, Kemp is "still not coming to Baltimore," so it may be that the O's have moved on.

Several teams have asked Baltimore about Jonathan Schoop but the O's aren't listening to offers involving the young second baseman.

Minor league southpaw Chris Lee is also getting attention in trade talks, and while Lee doesn?t seem as untouchable as Schoop, Kubatko says the Orioles "would like to hold onto" the left-hander. Lee was recently ranked as the seventh-best prospect in Baltimore?s system by Baseball America after a 2015 that saw him make his Double-A debut. The Orioles acquired Lee from Houston last May for two international bonus slots.

The Orioles are planning to watch Tim Lincecum's upcoming throwing session once the date is finalized. The O's were linked to Lincecum earlier this month and they'll likely be one of several teams interested in seeing if the former two-time NL Cy Young Award winner is looking healthy.

... the Orioles are pretty much open to any bounceback candidate coming off an injury, Kubatko writes. This search would include Cliff Lee, though the O's don't seem to feel that the veteran southpaw wants to pitch in 2016.

Shields' contract doesn't seem that bad considering where pitching contracts have gone of late. Wonder how much San Diego would eat and what would it take to get Shields to Baltimore? Good AL East track record. Seems like a Buck type acquisition.

Earlier in the off season they were looking for high level prospects for Shields without eating any salary. I doubt they get high level but given prices I don't think they will need to eat salary

Shields' contract doesn't seem that bad considering where pitching contracts have gone of late. Wonder how much San Diego would eat and what would it take to get Shields to Baltimore? Good AL East track record. Seems like a Buck type acquisition.

2015 33 SDP NL 13 7 .650 3.91 33 33 0 0 0 0 202.1 189 93 88 33 81 5 216 9 1 7 860 93 4.45 1.334 8.4 1.5 3.6 9.6 2.67

Pretty certain that the Padres only paid 10 million last season and he is now 3 years 65 million with a buyout. He's pretty bad. Those were Petco numbers.

2015 33 SDP NL 13 7 .650 3.91 33 33 0 0 0 0 202.1 189 93 88 33 81 5 216 9 1 7 860 93 4.45 1.334 8.4 1.5 3.6 9.6 2.67

Pretty certain that the Padres only paid 10 million last season and he is now 3 years 65 million with a buyout. He's pretty bad. Those were Petco numbers.

Would you rather have Shields + Matt Kemp +14th& 28th picks or Gallardo +Fowler?

Tough choice for me....Shield & Kemp would need to make significant turn arounds and I'm not too high on Gallardo

Would you rather have Shields + Matt Kemp +14th& 28th picks or Gallardo +Fowler?

Tough choice for me....Shield & Kemp would need to make significant turn arounds and I'm not too high on Gallardo

The salaries make that an impossible choice. That would be like paying 60 million for the picks.

No chance that Shields is as good as Gallardo going forward.

I've always liked Sheilds from his pitching days in TB but I think a Cashner/Kemp deal may seem more appropriate.

I'm not big on Gallardo but Fowler would be a nice add to the line up with what he brings to the table. I just don't like ever giving up a pick. Beggers can't be choosers, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldn't you have to add in the cost of obtaining Kemp and Shields to that equation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No chance that Shields is as good as Gallardo going forward.

No chance? That seems like a pretty extreme thing to say. Yeah he's three years older and had a bad season in 2015, but he has generally been a steady pitcher and one of the most durable pitchers in the game, both in terms of making starts (33+ the last 8 years) and staying deep into games. There's certainly a chance he returns to form this year. His K rate was very good (9.6) and unlike Gallardo's hasn't been dropping. He had a very bad year compared to his usual in BB/9 but was only a little higher than Gallardo (3.6 to 3.3) and certainly could revert to form and be under Gallardo there. He also had a very bad HR/FB rate, and with better luck will keep the ball in the park more (though there is Petco/OPACY to consider). I'd say there's a substantial chance Shields will be better than Gallardo going forward. But he's also way more expensive and certainly not a sure thing to do better than Gallardo.

No chance? That seems like a pretty extreme thing to say. Yeah he's three years older and had a bad season in 2015, but he has generally been a steady pitcher and one of the most durable pitchers in the game, both in terms of making starts (33+ the last 8 years) and staying deep into games. There's certainly a chance he returns to form this year. His K rate was very good (9.6) and unlike Gallardo's hasn't been dropping. He had a very bad year compared to his usual in BB/9 but was only a little higher than Gallardo (3.6 to 3.3) and certainly could revert to form and be under Gallardo there. He also had a very bad HR/FB rate, and with better luck will keep the ball in the park more (though there is Petco/OPACY to consider). I'd say there's a substantial chance Shields will be better than Gallardo going forward. But he's also way more expensive and certainly not a sure thing to do better than Gallardo.

Good assessment. Can't disagree with much here. Really not a fan of acquiring either guy but given the choice, if the Padres ate enough I would take Shields and the pick any day over Gallardo.

Archived