Jim Hunter on the Radio, Ben McDonald too.

weams

105.7 The Fan will broadcast all 162 regular season games. Joe Angel returns for his 17th season and will be joined by Jim Hunter for most games. Fred Mangra returns for his 24th season and will call select games.

Former Orioles pitcher Ben McDonald and MASN broadcaster and former Orioles shortstop Mike Bordick also join the radio broadcast team to provide analysis for several games this season

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/02/wrapping-up-the-fifth-day-of-workouts.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Manfra to call between 40 and 50 games.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Longtime <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> broadcaster Fred Manfra will cut his schedule to 40-50 games this season. Jim Hunter will pair with Joe Angel on most.</p>— Rich Dubroff (@RichDubroffCSN) <a href="

">February 23, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Seems to me this is a win-win. Hunter is better on the radio than he is on TV, and he is better at radio play-by-play than Manfra is. We also will get less of Hunter on the TV broadcasts, since he can't be in two booths at once. I wonder who picks up the slack on the TV side.

Seems to me this is a win-win. Hunter is better on the radio than he is on TV, and he is better at radio play-by-play than Manfra is. We also will get less of Hunter on the TV broadcasts, since he can't be in two booths at once. I wonder who picks up the slack on the TV side.

Very true. It is odd, Hunter is almost un-listenable on TV, but during a radio broadcast, I kind of enjoy him. I can't quite figure it out. Maybe he's too busy describing things when he's on the radio and he doesn't have time to fill up with his painfully obvious and pandering ovservations.

Very true. It is odd, Hunter is almost un-listenable on TV, but during a radio broadcast, I kind of enjoy him. I can't quite figure it out. Maybe he's too busy describing things when he's on the radio and he doesn't have time to fill up with his painfully obvious and pandering ovservations.

I've heard this multiple times on here, and I don't understand it. I find him just as annoying, off-putting, and unknowledgeable on the radio as I do on TV.

I've heard this multiple times on here, and I don't understand it. I find him just as annoying, off-putting, and unknowledgeable on the radio as I do on TV.

Haha. I can understand that for sure. But for whatever reason, he doesn't bother me nearly as much on the radio.

All good news.

I hope the "select few" for Ben is even more than he's had in years past.

I have a feeling it's as many as Ben wants to do, whatever that # is. The Orioles know, as the fans do, how good he is and how enjoyable he is to listen to. If he wanted to do 162, I think the Orioles would be happy with that.

If he's only doing 15, it's probably because that's as many trips to Baltimore as he wants to make.

If Jimmy Hunter does 110 games on radio, that means Tom Davies will do more pregame and postgame on MASN. Who fills in for Thorne when JH isn't available? Fred isn't going to coordinate his off time with Thorne, who only does about 120 MASN games.

It does appear that there would have to be a new TV PBP man in the mix if Hunter is going to do as much radio as they say. I'll bet we hear something on that fairly soon.

Archived