Just go trade for Jay Bruce or Markakis

oriolesacox

I love Nick but I don't want him back. Pretty sure at this point I could hit as many homers in OPACY as he could. He hit 3 last year? His on base percentage was almost past his slugging percentage.

Nick isn't a home run hitter now, he is a leadoff hitter and a damn good one. As if HR are what we should judge a 1 hitter on.

To try to frame his bat as disappointing when his job is to get on base is ridiculous. Oh and he threw in 38 doubles last year for good measure.

I could care less what his slugging is but I know that is all the haters have on him these days so I understand. Surely won't be pointing to literally anything else.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As long as the asking price for him is low, I wouldn't mind seeing if he can turn things around. One thing to keep in mind is he's a free agent after this season.

Are you referring to Bruce? If so, I think he has a team option for '17.

Nick isn't a home run hitter now, he is a leadoff hitter and a damn good one. As if HR are what we should judge a 1 hitter on.

To try to frame his bat as disappointing when his job is to get on base is ridiculous. Oh and he threw in 38 doubles last year for good measure.

I could care less what his slugging is but I know that is all the haters have on him these days so I understand. Surely won't be pointing to literally anything else.

Yikes, someone's sentimental.

Markakis past injuries would prevent the Orioles from assuming his contract. The Orioles went concerned about last year but this year and next. They know his meds.

If the Orioles were worried about 2016 and 17 for Nick, why did they offer him 3 years? It was 2018 that worried them.

At this point I would be fine with Bruce. The Reds would love to dump his $12.5M salary this year, since as their GM Dick Williams says, "We're saving to invest in the future", so I don't think they will really ask too much in return. He missed a month with knee surgery in 2014, but played 157 games again last year so he seems to be healthy. He's not quite the player he was before the knee trouble, but he's a dead pull hitter which should play well in Camden Yards. I could easily see him mashing 30 with us. Considering our situation and that trading for him would let us keep the #29 pick, it's probably our best option if they could agree on who to give up.

OK, I am going to offer the theory that we lost Fowler due to the Nick Markakis Curse. We had a RF who was steady and reliable and fit our team, and was beloved by the fan base. Despite his record of durability, we backed off an offer we'd made of a four year deal, and because of that, Nick walked, and now we are under the Curse. Nick will proceed to play 600+ games over the life of his four year deal, playing solid but unspectacular baseball, while we will have an annual parade of guys who look on paper like they might fill the bill, but don't get the job done.

I'm being facetious, of course, but I do miss Nick's steady presence and it sucks that we haven't found an able replacement yet.

I absolutely love the curse idea and will use it whenever applicable.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

“We’re not saving to create a profit, we’re saving to invest in the future, for sure,” Williams said. “We’ve got the biggest amateur signing pool this year, when you combine domestic and international. We want to take full advantage of it. Obviously, there’s a lot of operational investments we’ll make as well. I talked about investing in the analytics and sports science. We’ll be investing in personnel, scouting personnel, new player development initiatives. I’ll be talking a lot about that over the course of this year as we roll things out, but we’ll put that money [to] work for sure.”

http://m.reds.mlb.com/news/article/165440222/dick-williams-discusses-reds-2016-budget

Archived