Rickard?

WarehouseChatter

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's got to start over Kim. He's earned it.

I agree with this. Given the fact he is a much better defensive player then Kim I think it makes this decision easier. Also he is the lead off hitter they have been looking for that they obviously tried to sign in Fowler. He stole two bases today.

He's got to start over Kim. He's earned it.

I think Buck will want to give both of them significant time early on, then gradually give time to whoever performs better in the games that count. But I do think Rickard has earned the right not to spend the first month on the bench.

Agree 100%! Buck has to start him in LF and hopefully leadoff. He has earned this opportunity to be in the lineup. Really adds a lot to the offense and defense. Can't wait to see him at OP and see Tyler Wilson starting in the rotation. I've been telling friends and said it on OP too many have under valued Mark Trumbo all winter and spring. He may lead the team in HR's and RBI''s this season. I hope CD doesn't change his approach as a result of this possibility. We are going to score a lot of runs and having a couple of speed guys in the lineup will help. Rickard, Machado and AJ will be running more I think and helping the power hitters see more fastballs. The balls should be flying out of OP this summer.

I bet there is a lot about his defense that is being factored into that decision along with his noodle bat.

I think this has as much to do with it as anything. If Kim was in Rickard's class as a defender I think this decision would be much more difficult. I think Buck is willing to allow 1/3 of the outfield to be defensively challenged but not 2/3. AJ can help out with RF but not both LF and RF. Rickard has not just performed in a small sample size in spring training but at every level in the minors. I just believe fans can't get past that Tampa just left him unprotected. Every organization makes mistakes.

Rickard has not just performed in a small sample size in spring training but at every level in the minors. I just believe fans can't get past that Tampa just left him unprotected. Every organization makes mistakes.

This as well as Rickard's lack of home run power to be more precise. It's also the whole Rule 5 thing as if that means all players in this draft will forever be terrible and to never look at the circumstances on a case by case

basis because it's pointless. It's like some absolute rule; Rule 5 = bad player, No home run power = not a major league caliber player. Tampa Bay lost several players to the rule five draft the last two seasons and lost a lot

of players due to having too many prospects and not enough room to keep them all. You'd think they would start trading some of them instead, but nope. Rickard certainly seems legit and has been successful in every

level he has played in as you said except in 2014 which was when he got hit in his ankle by a pitch and was bothered with that injury all season. All those things he has showed in the minors and winter ball are the same

things he is showing now without a single step lost.

Perhaps it's more useful to imagine Rickard was developed in our own system and put up these numbers. If he was, I bet everyone would be singing a different tune like we do with Walker, Wilson and Bundy. If the Kim

situation is in fact based on facts, I'm sure the pressure Rickard is applying to the situation is responsible in part for this. Maybe Buck feels like Rickard should be the starting left fielder and Kim does not like that idea. He

has been a complete surprise and represents a potential huge addition to our lineup and filling several needs all by himself; a left fielder, a legitimate lead-off guy capable of carrying a high OBP and a legitimate stolen base

threat. It will be interesting to see what happens during the season. If we're really trying to get out of the Kim contract, it must mean Buck and the coaching staff are just as convinced as some of us here are that he

has a real chance to be something special for the Orioles. I imagine someone will come out and shoot down those rumors about Kim soon if they are untrue, so we'll see.

I agree with this. Given the fact he is a much better defensive player then Kim I think it makes this decision easier. Also he is the lead off hitter they have been looking for that they obviously tried to sign in Fowler. He stole two bases today.

Exactly, the defense is the key here. But if he starts then your bench guy has to be a defensive replacement for Trumbo---that is not Reimold!

Exactly, the defense is the key here. But if he starts then your bench guy has to be a defensive replacement for Trumbo---that is not Reimold!

I don't quite get this. If we start Kim or Reimold in LF, then Rickard is your defensive replacement for Trumbo, giving you and OF of Kim/Reimold, Jones and Rickard. Or, if we start Rickard in LF and you want to replace Trumbo late in the game, you slide Rickard to RF and put Kim/Reimold in LF. Same OF: Kim/Reimold, Jones and Rickard.

The thing about Rickard isn't just the numbers, he looks good at the plate, stays within himself well, takes what he's given doesn't try to do too much, has good AB. He plays within himself well and seems to have a high baseball IQ. He's great defensively and runs the bases well.

The thing about Rickard isn't just the numbers, he looks good at the plate, stays within himself well, takes what he's given doesn't try to do too much, has good AB. He plays within himself well and seems to have a high baseball IQ. He's great defensively and runs the bases well.

But does he stay within himself?

Archived