The Spring Training Overreaction Thread

Camden_yardbird

I am out of the country and have not seen the game,but you scare me Birdman. You seem to be describing a team that spent a lot of money only to field the same team plus blow their first pick. I'm sure all the experts who rate the O's farm at the bottom are wrong. I'm also sure I am wrong.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If anyone else saw the game and disagrees with me please tell me how you saw it..

I saw it as a bad loss. There will be some of those from time to time. Particularly in early March. In a split-squad game... with the club trying to look at young players.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the club will probably take a few tough losses during the season, even when they're stacked, and firing on all cylinders.

Maybe even several in a row from time to time.

I am out of the country and have not seen the game,but you scare me Birdman. You seem to be describing a team that spent a lot of money only to field the same team plus blow their first pick. I'm sure all the experts who rate the O's farm at the bottom are wrong. I'm also sure I am wrong.

Well, this game isn't the one to look at regarding your comment since the majority of the team won't be on the major league 25-man opening day. What it does speak to is lack of depth. I don't think the team is as deep as it was a couple years ago.

I hate to scare you but I have been an O's fan for 54 years. i have been through the Good, the bad and the ugly. I have never seen our outfield defense this inept.

Kim legitimately should have been charged with 3 errors.

I hate to scare you but I have been an O's fan for 54 years. i have been through the Good, the bad and the ugly. I have never seen our outfield defense this inept.

Kim legitimately should have been charged with 3 errors.

Kim did not look like gold glove material for sure. Didnt even look like MLB material for that matter.

Hopefully this is an aberration.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Buck on Kim remaining hitless through 13 spring ABs: "Another way to look at it is that he gets it all out of his system here." <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">March 5, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Buck on <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a>' 13-2 loss at <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Twins?src=hash">#Twins</a>: "We didn’t field it very well, we didn’t pitch it very well and we didn’t hit it very well."</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">March 5, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Kim did not look like gold glove material for sure. Didnt even look like MLB material for that matter.

Hopefully this is an aberration.

Given that Kim actually DID win the Korean Baseball Organization's Outfield Gold Glove in 2009.....

And in 2010

And in 2011

And that the baseball, and the glove, and the grass are pretty much the same here as they are in Korea... I'm going to chalk this up to nerves until I have a meaningful enough sample size to judge him on.

owknows said:

Given that Kim actually DID win the Korean Baseball Organization's Outfield Gold Glove in 2009.....

And in 2010

And in 2011

And that the baseball, and the glove, and the grass are pretty much the same here as they are in Korea ... I'm going to chalk this up to nerves until I have a meaningful enough sample size to judge him on.

I read that line of thinking in a book that I read back in 1989 ...... Say it Aint' So, Joe: The true Story of Shoeless Joe Jackson and the Black Sox by Donald Gropman.

After Jackson was kicked out of baseball following the 1920 season, he continued to play semi-pro baseball in much lesser leagues. He continued to rake on offense, but that could be written off as him being a big fish in a small pond, due to the pitchers/pitching that he was facing. But Shoeless Joe continued to play amazing defense, also. Defense in baseball, unlike offense, is universal, and it doesn't matter where you are playing and/or who your opponent is. Defense in baseball is simply the ball and the player, and a running/diving catch by an outfielder on a sinking line drive is just as impressive in high school ball or Rookie League ball as it is in the Major Leagues.

Our outfielders are an embarrassment. Our pitchers will not want to throw to contact.

Kim is a far cry from a major league player in the field or at the plate.

I don't want to hear Buck talk about the wind condition, the twins played on the same field.

It is going to be a long year for Adam unless they can go find some outfield speed that can catch the ball.

Alverez is bar far the best outfielder. It is to bad he is clueless about the strike zone. We preach pitching and defense, going to be interesting to see how they improve the outfield defense.

I would not be so reactionary if we had left proven good fielding outfielders at home.

I was not in favor of trading for Bruce but he would be a major upgrade for our outfield. We need to go get him.

If anyone else saw the game and disagrees with me please tell me how you saw it..

This is just silly. Lets bash away at the team over a preseason

in early spring training.

Archived