Early thoughts on Givens and Walker

sfosfan

Despite the O's record, I'm salivating big time on these two. This team maybe one year away from Michael Given being ready to be closer, and Christian Walker ready ready to start. But both are blocked for obvioius reasons, so what do you do? Mancini ould also be 1-2 years away. Great problem to have of course, but trading prospects in AAA seems tough to get something back of equal value- teams know they are blocked so won't offer as much in return. In the old days, when you had a guy ready to step in you made room. Not so much anymore, especially with Crush'deal. These two definitely look like they are ready for big things and if I were them, I would find it hard to be patient- but that's me. I'd thinking DD could make a move this year to trade some top guys like these two, for two guys in other areas the O's need. But then I keep seeing the O's rank so low in tems of minor league talent (which I obviously disagree with), so not sure we'd get real value in return. Thoughts?

PS: if anyone is coming to Frisco AT&T this year please message me- I'll love anohter bird fan to hang with among Giant fans. :D

sfosfan

Givens is favored for a spot in the pen this year and has a high ceiling.

Walker is hot right now. If he keeps hitting through camp he could find a spot of the O's roster or be traded for an OFer. Has options to go to AAA but with the O's short on corner OFers he could have value to help solve that problem, one way or another.

Marte may be able to hit but his recent record on fielding is not good. 8 errors in 90 games last year in AAA. Something similar the year before.

PS: if anyone is coming to Frisco AT&T this year please message me- I'll love anohter bird fan to hang with among Giant fans. :D

sfosfan

I am seriously considering it. Never been to SF. Also the O's play across the bay right before they play the Giants.

Walker's trade value hasn't moved based on ~10 ST at bats. He's still not much of a prospect. I know we are ready to build his statue at OPACY, but the hyperbole already getting spouted about based on early spring is ridiculous.

Agreed. I'm glad he is getting his spring off to a good start, but he'll be in Norfolk to start the year unless we have a rash of injuries this spring.

Walker's trade value hasn't moved based on ~10 ST at bats. He's still not much of a prospect. I know we are ready to build his statue at OPACY, but the hyperbole already getting spouted about based on early spring is ridiculous.

OK, so let's base the evaluation of Christian Walker on more than that.

2012 - 2012 MLB Draft Selection (4th round/Baltimore Orioles) ... Earned second-team ABCA All-America honors ... Golden Spikes Award Watch List ... Earned first-team All-SEC honors ... Named to College World Series All-Tournament Team

In 2014 at age 23 he had list line at AA.

366 AB, 58 R, 20 HR, 77 RBI, 301/367/516/884

Then was promoted to AAA

He won the O's Brook Robinson award for having the best minor league season.

In 2015, at 24, his 2nd half was:

54 games, 13 HR, 44 RBI, 257/342/515/867

Norfolk is not a easy place to hit but he apparently made some adjustments and did well.

Here is what Roch had to say about Walker last October:

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/10/christian-walker-on-his-second-half-improvement.html

So maybe we don't have to base our opinion of Walker of a few ST games. Maybe we just see whether he can do well at the next level - the major leagues.

OK, so let's base the evaluation of Christian Walker on more than that.

2012 - 2012 MLB Draft Selection (4th round/Baltimore Orioles) ... Earned second-team ABCA All-America honors ... Golden Spikes Award Watch List ... Earned first-team All-SEC honors ... Named to College World Series All-Tournament Team

In 2014 at age 23 he had list line at AA.

366 AB, 58 R, 20 HR, 77 RBI, 301/367/516/884

Then was promoted to AAA

He won the O's Brook Robinson award for having the best minor league season.

In 2015, at 24, his 2nd half was:

54 games, 13 HR, 44 RBI, 257/342/515/867

Norfolk is not a easy place to hit but he apparently made some adjustments and did well.

Here is what Roch had to say about Walker last October:

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-...provement.html

I don't like the way you selectively cut out Walker's AAA performance in 2014 and the first half of 2015. I'm glad he played well in the final 54 games last year, but that is not enough for me to conclude he's ready to jump to the majors. He had 118 AAA games before that which were quite mediocre. If he goes back to Norfolk and posts an .800+ OPS in the first half this season, then I'll start to think that he might be ready to do a half-decent job in the majors.

I don't like the way you selectively cut out Walker's AAA performance in 2014 and the first half of 2015. I'm glad he played well in the final 54 games last year, but that is not enough for me to conclude he's ready to jump to the majors. He had 118 AAA games before that which were quite mediocre. If he goes back to Norfolk and posts an .800+ OPS in the first half this season, then I'll start to think that he might be ready to do a half-decent job in the majors.

So you are rooting against him making the majors this spring?

Player Development is about improving strengths and weaknesses. Walker has shown improvement year over year. Walker has an opportunity this spring. If he outperforms other players he will likely get a chance to be promoted to the majors. He has options. He can be sent back down if he is not ready for the jump.

There is no guarantee that Walker, Kim, Rickard, Reimold, or Alvarez will perform well in the majors this year. They are all getting opportunities this spring to make the team.

Who knows. Maybe if Walker does well this spring another team will offer a corner outfielder with equal potential for him. It wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen.

Walker has done enough in the minors to be taken seriously in his opportunity to make the majors.

"His second half of the season, he almost carried the club offensively on a lot of nights," said Orioles manager Buck Showalter. "He had the type of second half he had almost all year last year. He made a lot of improvements at first base."

So you are rooting against him making the majors this spring?

Player Development is about improving strengths and weaknesses. Walker has shown improvement year over year. Walker has an opportunity this spring. If he outperforms other players he will likely get a chance to be promoted to the majors. He has options. He can be sent back down if he is not ready for the jump.

There is no guarantee that Walker, Kim, Rickard, Reimold, or Alvarez will perform well in the majors this year. They are all getting opportunities this spring to make the team.

Who knows. Maybe if Walker does well this spring another team will offer a corner outfielder with equal potential for him. It wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen.

Walker has done enough in the minors to be taken seriously in his opportunity to make the majors.

It's really the only option. He's the third option at 1B. They haven't made any indication about the OF. Probably best to hope he lights it up during ST and someone else notices.

Archived