Slugger Pedro Alvarez Signs w Orioles (1 yr: 5.75 + 1.5 potential bonuses) OFFICIAL

Birds08

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This move is really disappointing to me. It doesn't add anything that was needed. Period.

You have boom or bust potential throughout the game... no middle ground. And defense that will be maddening enough to have Buck using his bench and playing some guys more than they probably should.

A platoon of some sort between Reimold, Rickard, and Alvarez would be better off in RF than using Trumbo all the time. Because I'm not sure the offense those three would put up will be that vastly inferior to what Alvarez is going to do even in a part time role.

Instead we'll see something like 500 homeruns and 5,000 strikeouts, many in close and late situations against power pitchers. And you lose some flexibility you might need closer to the trade deadline if you're even in it, which I'm not confident will be the case.

Meanwhile we also have to really, really hope Tillman is the sort of pitcher we had high hopes for a couple years ago and not the average guy we've seen more of lately. But as someone pointed out, this move isn't going to make life easier for our pitchers.

I'd have rather stayed put.

"@pgammo: w/ 3 of top 9 MLB K rates, Orioles face this late inning dilemma:7 of top 14 MLB reliever K rates are in AL East rival pens"

Not sure if someone posted this yet, but boy is this concerning

Not worried about coming from behind vs those pens. The key is not to be behind late to begin with. I don't see any style of offense built to beat the quality of the pen in the AL East.

"@pgammo: w/ 3 of top 9 MLB K rates, Orioles face this late inning dilemma:7 of top 14 MLB reliever K rates are in AL East rival pens"

Not sure if someone posted this yet, but boy is this concerning

I agree to an extent, but to counter-balance this, the O's typically bat their best near the end of the ballgame.. if memory serves.

Then I don't get it. Rickard should be in everyday, as should Kim. This signing truly perplexes me

Sent from Neverneverland using James Hetfield's voice

Rickard shouldn't be an everyday player. Everyday players don't get left available in the Rule 5 draft. He is 4th or 5th OFer.

Then I don't get it. Rickard should be in everyday, as should Kim. This signing truly perplexes me

Why do you think Rickard should play everyday?

If he makes it I think he will start some games in RF when Alvarez sits and a late inning defender. For an unproven Rule 5 player, that is plenty.

Why do you think Rickard should play everyday?

If he makes it I think he will start some games in RF when Alvarez sits and a late inning defender. For an unproven Rule 5 player, that is plenty.

He's the OBP guy we need. That's what I'm getting at. We need at least 1 or 2 of the high OBP guys in the top of the lineup instead of using manny and Jones as our 1-2 punch

Nooooooo.

Rickard should not be playing every day. Hell I'm worried relying on him as even a part timer might be too much. Maybe Tampa Bay just goofed, but traditionally he's exactly the kind of player they would use if he was big league ready. That they didn't even protect him should provide some pause. It certainly hints that he's not close to being an every day player.

He's the OBP guy we need. That's what I'm getting at. We need at least 1 or 2 of the high OBP guys in the top of the lineup instead of using manny and Jones as our 1-2 punch

You theory requires the Rays' FO be incompetent.

Archived