Roch: All kinds of fact drops and innuendos.

weams

I don't think it's at all clear that Davis in RF and Trumbo at 1B is even five runs better than the other way around.

I am in agreement with this. Any potential improvement is so uncertain and negligible that it's not worth upsetting anything from a personnel management perspective.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly.

He was an OF if he thought he could squeeze an extra penny out of it.

Now suddently he got paid and it's too onerous.

If Buck talks to him, I firmly believe he'll do what's best for the team.

This isn't some issue of Chris being greedy or acting put upon. I think those making the argument that he stays at first are coming at this from the position that if he's comfortable there then there's no compelling reason to change it for no seemingly significant upgrade (put another way, it appears insignificant). People can rag on Buck's attitude toward vets, but these are people in an organization full of humans. One of the manager's most important jobs is to manage the egos of 25 world class athletes many of whom have mega type-A personalities.

This isn't some issue of Chris being greedy or acting put upon. I think those making the argument that he stays at first are coming at this from the position that if he's comfortable there then there's no compelling reason to change it for no seemingly significant upgrade (put another way, it appears insignificant). People can rag on Buck's attitude toward vets, but these are people in an organization full of humans. One of the manager's most important jobs is to manage the egos of 25 world class athletes many of whom have mega type-A personalities.

Buck's attitude towards vets had Davis' ass in RF for 30 games last year.

Have you seen Trumbo play RF? He's terrible. I believe the difference is significant between him and Davis out there.

I think Rickard has a good chance to make the team now that Alvarez is in the fold. Buck is going to want a plus OF defender on the roster to relieve Trumbo et al. late in games that we're winning, and to pinch run for all the slow guys late in close games. If he shows he can get on base, his role can expand as the year progresses.

As to who plays RF, I think it will be a process, rather than a fixed solution that is preordained on day one. Trumbo will get most of the starts out there to begin the year, and Davis may play the spot once in a while. If Trumbo is a Delmon Young-level mess out there, eventually you will be seeing Davis out there more often. And remember, Trumbo probably DH's in most of the ~45 games where we face a LH starter. I'm figuring Trumbo's year probably will include 40 games at DH, 20 at 1B, and 20 on the bench vs. certain RHP. So, we are probably seeing Trumbo in RF for maybe half the games, not all 162.

Sounds like Nelson Cruz.

Sounds like Nelson Cruz.

The big difference is that we really didn't have any LH DH candidates in 2014. Cruz DH'd in 89 games, Young in 39, Pearce in 8, etc. Markakis was the top LH DH and that was all of 6 games. This year, we have an obvious LH DH in Alvarez, and we will face a RH starter in 115-120 games in all likelihood (it was 117 last year).

Kim/Alvarez:

The initial response to the Alvarez news was that Trumbo instantly became the right fielder, but I've already had left field floated past me as another possibility. Let's not assume that Hyun Soo Kim automatically breaks camp as a starter.

It's been projected and expected, but there's always the possibility that Trumbo slides over to left, Kim goes to the bench and right field is handled by Nolan Reimold, Rule 5 pick Joey Rickard or L.J. Hoes. Dariel Alvarez and Henry Urrutia are on the 40-man roster. The Orioles have choices.

My thoughts are Kim is NOT a regular and Alvarez makes OD roster after Reimold goes to DL.

As long as you have two plus defenders in the outfield, you are fine with one lesser guy. Cruz did not have great range, but he caught the balls he should have. Trumbo should be able to do that, plus has a better arm. The problem comes in if you have Trumbo plus another lesser fielder like Reimold.

Buck's attitude towards vets had Davis' ass in RF for 30 games last year.

Have you seen Trumbo play RF? He's terrible. I believe the difference is significant between him and Davis out there.

It's one thing to move a temp around, it's a whole different thing to ask the guy you just set up in the corner office to yield his spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's one thing to move a temp around, it's a whole different thing to ask the guy you just set up in the corner office to yield his spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davis was a temp?

Davis was making 10 million dollars last year, and heading into his FA year.

He's already got his money.

He had a lot more to lose last year.

The whole argument is ass backwards to me.

Davis is getting paid 160 milion dollars. He should do whatever the company asks him to do.

Archived