Orioles Release Miguel Gonzalez

SticksandStones

Wow. This surprised me, I was hoping he would start the year in AAA. Oh well, I guess if his stuff is completely gone then it is the right call to save $4 million. Our thin rotation just got thinner though.

I wish Miguel the best. Always seemed like a great guy and a fun underdog to root for.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
People are saying he looked great last night, but like CoC pointed out, that was a very suspect Braves lineup.

One of those people was the Baltimore Sun guy. But even Miguel knew he wasn't good last night. He gave up 1 run but there were 8 base runners (7 hits , 1 hit batter). He benefitted from 2 double plays.

"Today was that day that I had a little luck on my side and that definitely feels good," Gonzalez said of his defense. "Hey, that's what they're there for. Our defense in one of the best out there, so just give them the chance to make plays. That's what it's all about."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-righthander-miguel-gonzalez-strong-in-his-final-spring-training-outing-20160329-story.html

I love it how Dan and the boys are showing some serious balls this spring training. They are not allowing players to make the team just because they are veterans and have a track record. The guys who are having a great spring are actually going to make the team besides Christian Walker of course. He needs to learn how to play the outfield otherwise he would have made the team.

Smart move.

Guys with marginal stuff can't afford to lose what little they have.

Best of luck to him.

I'm actually impressed. To win you must do the right thing. Sentimentality is for losers! Go O's!.....perhaps Shields is on his way

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">One of these two got $16 million as a free agent this winter. The other just got released. <a href="https://t.co/RNxCHiHZLE">https://t.co/RNxCHiHZLE</a></p>? David Cameron (@DCameronFG) <a href="
">March 30, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

How does the $16M guy have the higher WAR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was pencilled in as the #3 starter on the depth chart.

We might not have seen this coming, but the professionals who are charged with evaluating the personnel should have seen this coming and attempted to replace him during the off season.

Lost Chen, Cut Gonzo. Gausman on the DL.

Is there a LHSP on the roster?

Gallardo is going to have to pitch on 1 day rest.

IS THIS WHAT PASSES FOR A MAJOR LEAGUE OFF SEASON?

I like the boldness in walking away from an otherwise diamond in the rough success story but at the same time this rotation is so thin, I can't imagine what the plan is if someone were to get hurt. Who is behind Wilson and Wright on the depth chart? Bundy? Worley? This could be a strange season.

Wouldn't they have to cut Worley today to save the money on him as well? I wouldn't be shocked if he gets one of the two slots until Gausman came back. Since both Wright and Wilson can be optioned.

Worley throws 94 MPH.

Archived