2016 Orioles Preview: Did High-Spending Orioles Really Improve?

PressBoxOnline

They are certainly 10, 15 or more wins above where they'd be if they just stood pat, didn't sign anyone, and replaced all the departing players with internal or free options. There were folks here concerned that the O's would go into 2016 with a sub-100M payroll and no acquisitions of note while letting Davis, Wieters, Chen, and others just leave.

Are they better than last year? Probably, maybe... but we'll see in a few months.

I think they are almost certainly better.

2016 Hardy should crush 2015 Hardy

and if you look at our corner OF spots and DH comparisons........yea we should crush the 2015 versions there too

Our rotation should be close to the same imo, maybe even a bit better if Tillman returns to form and Gausman takes a step forward. I think Gallardo can replicate Chen's numbers.

Problem is we have to worry about 4 other good teams in our division too.

I think the 2016 team will be 10+ wins better than the 2015 team. The offense should be significantly better, the bullpen should be better and it's hard to imagine Tillman, Jiminez and Gausman failing to improve on their poor 2015 showings.

To me the big questions are whether or not Gausman can stay healthy and deliver on his potential, whether Gallardo can match Chen's production and whether we can find a 5th starter that can improve on Gonzalez and his 4.91 ERA over 26 starts.

I think this will be a really fun season to watch and we now have the extra incentive of making Keith Law eat his words that the O's are non-contenders.

Archived