David Hernandez -4/21 start

orioole28

Done for the day and probably pitched his best game of the season. Went into the 7th inning got the first batter to fly out to CF and then walked the next batter and that was it.

IP  H R ER BB SO HR ERA 6.1 2 0 0  2  8  0  2.70 

Its too bad all of these pitchers aren't getting wins with the ugly lineups the organization has. Luckily most of the good prospect trackers will pay more attention to the peripheral stats instead.

Though I would imagine it will be hard to sell some of those records as top prospects.

How about Olson the other night 2 runs 1 earned and the "L"

Its too bad all of these pitchers aren't getting wins with the ugly lineups the organization has. Luckily most of the good prospect trackers will pay more attention to the peripheral stats instead.

Though I would imagine it will be hard to sell some of those records as top prospects.

How about Olson the other night 2 runs 1 earned and the "L"

I doubt anyone pays attention to minor league W/L so long as the ERA, K/9 and K/BB are all good. In Hernandez's case, his ERA is now 2.70, with 26 K's vs. 10 BB in 20 IP. You'd like the BBs to be a bit lower but the K's are outstanding.

Nice start from D Hernandez here but what worries me is the extremely low G/F ratio of 0.27 so far. Now Hernandez never was a ground ball pitcher (he posted a .70 ratio in 07) but I think once he gets to the bigs this will be a problem as he'll be susceptible to homers. That said, no one says fly ball pitchers can't be successful in the bigs ala Chris Young (0.57 G/F ratio in 07 but only 10 HRs) but I'd still like the ratio to get closer to 1.

This is exciting stuff to see such success at AA. It's a big jump from A to AA and most of these guys are off to strong early starts.

What a pitching staff between Tillman, Spoone, DHernandez and Berken.

Don't forget the old man of the pitching staff, Waters, as he has the best stats of all of them.:)

I think Hernandez will be one of the minor league guys we have that ultimately end up becoming a reliever. We've got too many guys for all of them to be used as starters, and I think the high strikeout / high walk guys all project better as relievers. I'm not saying to convert him now, but in a year when he's knocking at the door at AAA, I'd have no problem with bringing him up and putting him into the major league bullpen.

Don't forget the old man of the pitching staff, Waters, as he has the best stats of all of them.:)

I'm going to have to take another look at Waters. Those early numbers in Double-A are pretty impressive. I also like the fact he has not given up a hit to left-hander this year. Makes me wonder if he could be a replacement for Walker one day.

I think Hernandez will be one of the minor league guys we have that ultimately end up becoming a reliever. We've got too many guys for all of them to be used as starters, and I think the high strikeout / high walk guys all project better as relievers. I'm not saying to convert him now, but in a year when he's knocking at the door at AAA, I'd have no problem with bringing him up and putting him into the major league bullpen.

That very well may be, but he'll need to do a better job of pitching with runners on base. He's much more effective from the full then the stretch for some reason.

Already this year batters are betting .100 points higher (.282 vs .181) with runners on base. Hopefully that's something Mike Griffin can help correct this year because if he can, Hernandez might shoot up the prospect list.

I'm going to have to take another look at Waters. Those early numbers in Double-A are pretty impressive. I also like the fact he has not given up a hit to left-hander this year. Makes me wonder if he could be a replacement for Walker one day.

He's 27 years old and in three seasons of AA his ERAs have been 4.41, 4.82 and 4.49. It would be interesting to know if he has learned a new pitch or something. Could just be a good start.

Archived