Some impressions of Mark Trumbo

Frobby

Not between. He'll get more than both of them combined. I think we'll have to pass in the offseason, hope he keeps it up through the playoffs, and enjoy.

You think Trumbo is going to get more than $109M? For what is likely the decline phase of his career? Good on him, but that better not be the Orioles.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You think Trumbo is going to get more than $109M? For what is likely the decline phase of his career? Good on him, but that better not be the Orioles.

You didn't look at the context? I was responding to someone who said, "If he keeps it up he's going to want something between what Nick Markakis and Nelson Cruz got."

Key words being "If he keeps it up".

My crystal ball isn't telling me if he'll keep it up, but if he does, I'll sit back and enjoy it and realize it's very unlikely he returns next season. Hopefully we get a nice draft pick.

Not between. He'll get more than both of them combined. I think we'll have to pass in the offseason, hope he keeps it up through the playoffs, and enjoy.

I struggle to think he'd get more than what Cruz got, which was 4 years and $57 million. There's no chance that he'd get Markakis plus Cruz. None.

I struggle to think he'd get more than what Cruz got, which was 4 years and $57 million. There's no chance that he'd get Markakis plus Cruz. None.

Well, keep on struggling. Prices have gone up, and they'll likely continue to.

Prices keep going up. Trumbo won't hit what he's hitting now, but he probably has a career year. He's younger and a better 1B/OF than his chief competition for FA 1B/DH, Encarnacion. He'll get 4-5 years and 12 -15 AAV at least IMO.

Well, keep on struggling. Prices have gone up, and they'll likely continue to.
Prices are likely to continues to go up. Trumbo isn't likely to continue hitting like this.

He's also a few years younger than Cruz was and doesn't have a prior biogenesis suspension muddying the waters. Remember, the 4th year was one of the big issues from the Orioles's perspective. I find it hard to believe, particularly because prices are higher than two years ago and the dearth of 1B/power bats on the market this coming offseason, that Trumbo won't exceed Cruz's deal should the bottom not completely fall out from under him.

There's definitely some guys you have to re-sign/sign but not everyone. Look at our team. Most of our big money players contribute the least,

Hardy

Ubaldo

Gallardo

MW

Alvarez

Kim

Honestly I'm too happy as a fan to add up that sum of contracts. haha. Since PED's are out of the game(somewhat) FA contracts just aren't worth it. You don't see guys getting better/staying better into their 30's anymore. That's why the Yankees suck now. They used to be able to go out and have a proven FA at every starting spot, and then those players were sure bets to put up their typical numbers. Now without PED's, they aren't guaranteed those big seasons they had in the past pre-FA.

It looks to me like the only things worth spending money on is Power and TOR pitching. Spend the huge money on great players, but spending money on mid level FA's doesn't seem to work out. Maybe Trumbo loves it here and would comeback for 4/52. But I think it might end up being the 5/70+ that Alex Gordon was asking for.

History says it will. He had a .965 OPS through 76 games in 2012 and finished at .808. That's his best full year OPS in his career. He's a long way from being at a .965 OPS after 76 games.

Qualitatively, it's hard to envision a major drop-off at this point. His swing is short and quick. He has a great approach at the plate, going with pitches to the opposite field.

We'll see how the league starts to pitch him now. If he maintains the same approach, I don't see any reason why he'll drop off significantly unless he wears down physically.

Prices are likely to continues to go up. Trumbo isn't likely to continue hitting like this.

That's the real takeaway here. A guy who was worth less than two wins a year in his 20s isn't likely to magically be worth 2+ in his 30s. His, well, everything (BA, BABIP, ISO) is miles above his career averages.

Qualitatively, it's hard to envision a major drop-off at this point. His swing is short and quick. He has a great approach at the plate, going with pitches to the opposite field.

We'll see how the league starts to pitch him now. If he maintains the same approach, I don't see any reason why he'll drop off significantly unless he wears down physically.

Quantitatively it's hard to imagine him continuing to hit anything like he has so far in 2016. His K/BB rates are near career marks while ISO, BA, BABIP, HR/FB are off the charts better. His most likely OPS from now through the end of the year is about .775.

I don't understand the buy high-sell low mentality of so many fans. :confused:

Go on Autotrader and look for two-year-old used cars that have depreciated 30, 40, 50% with 80%+ of their useful life left. There's millions, and someone sold/traded every one. A lot of those folks might like baseball.

Archived