Do you consider Matt Wieters to be a bust?

Enjoy Terror

Yes, he was mildly amusing at one time.

sandler-movies.jpg

Aside from the relative funny or unfunniness of Mr. Sandler, he was printing money at the box office for a good while. They don't pay him cuz he's funny.

So bringing it back to Wieters, he never had an equivalent run as a baseball player where he was last on such a level. Which the hype and billing suggested he should've reached. It'd be one thing if injuries could be blamed, but that's not really the case. He just was never as productive as advertised.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at every draft five years out and older. Look at the high first round draft picks and look up the ones you don't recognize.

Those names will give you the proper perspective for what a BUST really is. We've selected a whole lotta busts over the years. Wieters is no bust.

He has been a perennial All-Star contender (when healthy) and one of the best catchers in baseball and easily one of the top three defensive catchers in baseball.

SO he is not Johnny Bench, so he never unleashed "hellfire," on the AL East. So Matt Wieters facts turned out to be all nonsense. He didn't live up to those expectations, but he certainly is not a bust because of it

Aside from the relative funny or unfunniness of Mr. Sandler, he was printing money at the box office for a good while. They don't pay him cuz he's funny.

So bringing it back to Wieters, he never had an equivalent run as a baseball player where he was last on such a level. Which the hype and billing suggested he should've reached. It'd be one thing if injuries could be blamed, but that's not really the case. He just was never as productive as advertised.

From 2011-14, Wieters was worth more every season than he is making now, on a 500 plate appearance per season basis. He fell just short in 2015, but he isn't even in the top 30 of worst contracts in the Majors this season. He may well put up a 2.5 WAR season and provide his contract value. The fact that we also have Joseph who we expect to be a decent starting catcher isn't Wieters fault and has no impact on whether Wieters is worth his contract. It is just a poor allocation of resources on the Orioles part.

No player who goes on to have a serviceable Major League career is a bust, much less one who becomes a 3-time All-Star and 2-time Gold Glove winner. It's really a question that needn't even have been asked because to consider him a bust is foolish. A bust would be Josh Vitters, who the Cubs took two picks before the Orioles took Wieters, or Daniel Moskos, who the Pirates took just before Wieters. Or Casey Weathers, the 8th pick that year by the Rockies, who is still trying to make it past Class AA. If Wieters is a bust, then you'd have to say that Mike Moustakas, who was taken with the number two pick, was also a bust (Moose has only made one All-Star Game).

"Bust" is one of those expressions that means different things to different people. Wieters' value had exceeded by a pretty wide margin the expected value of a no. 5 overall pick. By my definition, he is definitely not a bust. Am I disappointed he didn't live up to the hype that built up in 2008 after he crushed at Frederick and Bowie? Sure. But he easily justified being drafted where he was.

I'm hoping he has a great season this year, and then we won't even be having this conversation.

I consider this topic to be a bust. Lol. We got a really good, All Star, Gold Glove winning, leadership carrying, gun-armed (before TJS) catcher out of this draft pick. Job well done, I'd say.

even post TJS, he throws better than half the catchers in the game today. :)

Wieters was never going to live up to the hype because he was never remotely the player Mauer was at the same age. His first few weeks in the majors I questioned wether he shouldnt be in the minors still. Of course he went on to hit for his highest average his rookie year. I dont think Wieters is a bust Just ridiculously overhyped by people who obviously didnt know what they were seeing. He never looked like Joe Mauer or any other catcher with a quick bat.

I honestly don't understand how you, or anyone else can think of Wieters as a bust. For those that do, I have this suggestion -- don't worry about your team drafting in the first round. Root for the Orioles to trade their first round pick every year for an immediate asset.

If you don't get what I'm driving at, go and look at the first round of the MLB draft. Go back as far as you like. I'll use his draft, 2007 as an example.

Matt Wieters at this point in his career is as good as the 8th best player from the 2007 draft class.

Clearly not as good as (7): Madisoin Bumgarner, Josh Donaldson, Jason Heyward, David Price, Chris Sale, Giancarlo Stanton, Jordan Zimmerman

About as good as (9): Jake Arrieta, Brandon Belt, Todd Frazier, Freddie Freeman, Matt Harvey, Craig Kimbrel, Corey Kluber, Jonathan Lucroy, Anthony Rizzo

Clearly better than (18): Darwin Barney, Andrew Cashner, Brett Cecil, Zach Cosart, Lucas Duda, Danny Duffy, Yasmani Grandal, Greg Holland, Tommy Hunter, D.J. LeMahieu, Matt Moore, Mitch Moreland, Mike Moustakas, Derek Norris, Rick Porcello, Jarrod Parker, Ben Revere, Tony Watson

...everyone else isn't even close in value. That is from the entire draft by the way. Fifty rounds. 1,453 picks. Wieters is gone after this year, and many of those listed have already changed teams.

The Orioles hit on the draft pick. They didn't miss. This is nowhere close to the definition of a bust.

?

He isn't nearly as good as your Arrieta group, let along your Madison Bumgarner group, and just about fits in with your Lucas Duda and Matt Moore group ...

I'm fine with him as our catcher, but it's because he is a really good defender ... if his bat was his strength and his defense was below average, I would consider him a liability on this team ... it also helps that we have Joseph, who might be the better all around player at this point ...

Wieters is good ... for a catcher ... and that's about it. But like I said, his hitting is tolerable because it isn't accompanied by weak defense like many other decent hitting catchers ... if his hitting was exactly the same but he wasn't a good defender, I would be screaming for Joseph to take his place as the starter ...

Archived