Do you consider Matt Wieters to be a bust?

Enjoy Terror

The average value of the #5 pick is, what... 6? 8? WAR. Something like that. Wieters has been worth 16. But, the expected value of the #5 pick is something like 50-60 WAR, and at least a plausible case at HOF induction, so by that measure he's been miserable.

2.6, 4.9 and 3.5 looked like he was heading to a 50-60 WAR.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I struggle watching Matt. He looks as if he is cemented and has no-lower body strength or turn when batting left handed. He has never lived up to the offensive player he was touted to be coming out of GT. As he grows older I question his value as a catcher. Certainly mentally he is a huge plus working with pitchers. But is he $12 million dollars better than Caleb? Buck loves him, and when Buck loves someone, he is uber-loyal.

Playing 50% of his games at OPACY, Matt should be a 30 HR and 80 RBI offensive player. But he will probably finish at .258, 17HR and 66 RBI. That's not a $13 Million player. that is a middle of the line up guy in 2016 standards. It's his last year year IMHO.

Catchers, particularly above average to really good catchers at their peak don't grow on trees. Every team in baseball wishes they could draft and hit on a Matt Wieters type in their draft. Some teams never even get anything out of their top 10 draft picks. In the history of the MLB draft, in terms of career WAR, Wieters is 9th overall, in the ENTIRE history of the MLB draft of #5 overall picks. Putting aside the 2013-2015 picks, there are a lot of names that never even made it to the big leagues. Even if you believed he was supposed to be something more than he is, to consider what he is as a bust is downright laughable. Every team in baseball wishes they could draft a bust like Matt Wieters.

2.6, 4.9 and 3.5 looked like he was heading to a 50-60 WAR.

He had 14 fWAR through age 27. That's about 37th of all time through that age. There are about 12 catchers who've gotten to 50 in their careers. Mike Scioscia, Charles Johnson, and Tony Pena were right around 14 at age 27 and they ended up in the mid-20s for their careers.

He had 14 fWAR through age 27. That's about 37th of all time through that age. There are about 12 catchers who've gotten to 50 in their careers. Mike Scioscia, Charles Johnson, and Tony Pena were right around 14 at age 27 and they ended up in the mid-20s for their careers.

37th all time by 27, isn't shabby.

It's excellent. But it's also not anything like being on pace for 50-60 for his career.

Yogi was ridiculously healthy and consistent and a 3-time MVP and he ended up at 64. At 27 he was in the low-20s.

No Matt hasn't come close to the hype.

So Bench at 75, does he have the highest WAR among catchers, he would have to, wouldn't he?

For a guy his size with the rep coming out of college, he just doesn't drive the ball consistently. For every line drive Matt hits, there are four weak rollers or one handed pop outs. Most of his issues at the plate are from the left side.

He's not a bust. He has been a solid player, for the most part. Has he failed to live up to even 3/4 of the hype he received? Yes. But I think any MLB team would be glad to have him.

I will say this much: When he comes to the plate, it's time to get a sandwich. I know he's not a "bad" hitter - but I just don't like watching him hit for some reason.

Matt Wieters is an above average major league catcher who could still put together a few top notch seasons.

He is NOT a bust. Bust's are first round picks now playing in the Mexican League.

Just because someone fails to full fill the prophecy of "switch hitting Jesus" does not make them a failure.

Archived