Jayson Stark on Manny

Frobby

I understand this sentiment. But if you have slim to no chance of signing him, get an epic haul. That epic haul could do far more for this team after 2018 than Manny will do in 17 and 18.

I want to see a World Series win in Baltimore. If that happens I would bet Manny has a whole lot to do with it.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jayson Stark was interviewed on ESPN 980's Chin Music this morning. He said a scout told him "Manny Machado is the best hitter he's seen this year, and it's not even close." The scout particularly lauded Manny's ability to hit good pitching.

Drool....we really need to figure out a way to lock him up!

Exactly we have to sign our best player, end of story.

There's no doubt Manny is special, but keep in mind that his OPS is generally 100 points higher at home than on the road. Balls hit at Camden Yards tend to go farther than at the average ballpark. He's great, but I'd still put him behind Harper and Trout.

Trout is on a level by himself, but Manny is worth more than Harper bc of the position he plays.

Peter might just say..."Manny, here is a check for 400 million dollars. Let us know how much that gets us. Or maybe you would be interested in being a majority stockholder in the Orioles in a few years. You are the son I always wanted anyways."

Interesting thought...

It will be very hard to trade him right after he wins the MVP and we win the World Series. The fans will be wanting a repeat performance.

Yeah, if we win it all and THEN trade him, it's Miami fire sale territory. They couldn't possibly do that. Not in Baltimore.

I just don't see the Orioles resigning Manny. If you look, the team really seems set for a tank after 2018. Pretty much everyone is gone then but Davis. Jones is the only one on the team you see possibly in the picture past then, and he will want Davis money. I don't think DD will be come back..even if offered a contract, and Buck may retire..especially if the orders win a WS in the next 3 years. I am not sure I want them paying Manny $30-$40m when the whole team has to be rebuilt.

Easily the best all around player this franchise has had since Cal. Maybe Mussina is in there, but it's a short list.

Manny is the best position player since Calm that this franchise has had.

Mussina was the best pitcher to pitch for the Orioles, since Palmer and company.

More woe is us poor Orioles fans. We cant spend . . . . . . . .

We couldnt sign Davis and if we did we wouldnt be able to sign Manny. We couldnt afford O'Day.

We cant. We cant. We cant.

Why not just enjoy what we have and not be so negative all the time?

Harper just had the best hitting since prime Albert Pujols. So far he's worth more than Machado. Come on man. He's been better than Manny.

I agree that right now today he is better, based on last year's numbers. I am just saying that looking at the next 7-8 years having a shortstop or 3B with his glove is more valuable. But I may be wrong.

Archived