Wow, Kim is untouchable

cm1290

The more I see of him, the more optimistic I am. I love his selectivity. He has a .463 OBP at the bottom of the order with teams having every incentive to pitch to him. If teams start to pitch him carefully, he will adjust. Ichiro was a hacker who put the ball in play and relied on speed to get on base. Kim is a professional hitter, extremely selective, and makes hard contact when he gets his pitch. Actually reminds me more of Markakis than Ichiro.

That is precisely the comp that an article made sometime in the winter: Nick Markakis. I'm trying to find it. I don't think anyone likened him to Ichiro.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I first started analyzing Kim, I thought about Nori Aoki. Some people would call that a lazy comp, but I do think it’s within reason. Also, I’ve just had Aoki on my mind lately, so I’m biased. As I’ve thought about this more, though, I’ve arrived at something else. What could Kim turn into in Baltimore? A very familiar-looking player. The Orioles know this skillset.

For some background, Kim is coming off his age-27 season, and it might’ve been his best season. He bats left-handed, and he’s used to playing both left field and first base. For the Orioles, he’ll be looked at as a left fielder, with a bit of versatility. From what I’ve read, and from what I’ve been told, Kim doesn’t profile as an outstanding defender. He should be something more like average, give or take a few runs. What’s most interesting is the bat — or, perhaps, the approach. Here are Kim’s last three seasons, sort of. This is a plot of walk rate, strikeout rate, and isolated power, only instead of raw statistics, I’m showing the ratio of Kim’s numbers to the league-average numbers.

Kim. Very good.

Right now that's the best setup, with Trumbo at DH. The Alvarez signing felt like a reaction to the Dexter Fowler mess-up and while he does provide a very good LH pinch-hit role, I can't imagine he's very happy about it. I wonder if Duquette attempts to trade him.

Yeah, I think trading Alvarez makes sense. He signed for 1 year 5.75 mil, so I can see a team that needs a power stick trading for him. Even with no DH, I think a NL team is more likely to go for him - because of his past NL success. And look at the success of the Nationals' pinch-hitters - 7 pinch hit homers already. That's enough to get other NL teams to try to emulate.

I was really impressed with his at bat in the 5th inning yesterday. He didn't get a hit, but with two strikes he flicked his bat at a good low breaking pitch, well below where he started his swing, and he flew out to right. Jones tagged and advanced from second on the play.

One of the better instances of bat control I've seen from the club this year.

I was really impressed with his at bat in the 5th inning yesterday. He didn't get a hit, but with two strikes he flicked his bat at a good low breaking pitch, well below where he started his swing, and he flew out to right. Jones tagged and advanced from second on the play.

One of the better instances of bat control I've seen from the club this year.

You look at someone like Kim and you have to think the ROY shouldn't include folks from the NPB and KBO.

Man is far from a rookie.

He always looks like he has a plan at bat and on the basepaths.

His batting eye is absolutely the best on the team.

He spits on low balls constantly and if it's not his pitch, he just takes it for a strike instead of swinging at something he wasn't looking for.

The best approach/eye on the team by a longshot, it's not a fluke he's putting up great numbers. At least not to me anyways.

You look at someone like Kim and you have to think the ROY shouldn't include folks from the NPB and KBO.

They should have an award for "rookies" that come from the NPB and KBO like an International ROY award for asian league players that have X amount of years of pro experience before coming to MLB. Maybe even a best

international player award every year as well. I think there should be more such recognition and it would look good internationally. Call it the Ichiro Award or something.

I tried to make that argument with Ichiro, but I don't recall ever convincing anyone. Of course, the main guy I was arguing with at the time was an Ichiro super fan.

They should have an award for "rookies" that come from the NPB and KBO like an International ROY award for asian league players that have X amount of years of pro experience before coming to MLB. Maybe even a best

international player award every year as well. I think there should be more such recognition and it would look good internationally. Call it the Ichiro Award or something.

If you aren't subject to the signing bonus rules,then you're not a rookie would work for me.

Archived