Is this Rickard's slump or just emerging to ...?

BirdAttack

It was a bad pitch (slider, I think) left inside middle-ish. It wasn't hit that well and was blown out by the wind. It landed in the front row in left field and the left fielder just missed it and probably should have caught it.

Rickard did have a good day in the field for the first time in forever, though. Hit the cutoff man leading to an out at home plate in the first inning to cut down a fourth run and made a diving catch in the gap.

Find a different whipping boy for today ;) Joey was good.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's the video. Wind was blowing out and he hit it up into the wind and still barely made it out.

They should totally have homers graded on a curve. They have the technology to measure them in distance, and Rickards' should only count as 3/5ths of a homer, while Alvarez gets a full share. Hitting the Pesky Pole in Fenway is like 15%.

Next up: fractional wins for games where the so-called score says you were ahead but the fans know you deserved to lose.

Rickard's defense is underrated. I don't think Kim or Reimold make that diving catch, honestly.

He's also the fastest player on our team.

He's also batting .286, with a .739 OPS.

He's also a 24 year old rookie.

I'm not saying he's the next Bryce Harper, but this kid could be part of our outfield picture for years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rickard's defense is underrated. I don't think Kim or Reimold make that diving catch, honestly.

He's also the fastest player on our team.

He's also batting .286, with a .739 OPS.

He's also a 24 year old rookie.

I'm not saying he's the next Bryce Harper, but this kid could be part of our outfield picture for years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What happens is that we each have favorites among a group of three fairly average player for this position. None are getting shut out by the other playing. It's a bit of an old fashion Weaver position for the Orioles. No one is likely to change their minds much and I feel it is likely that they all contribute. Unless the Orioles do upgrade the outfield this season. And at that point one of the favorites may be in jeopardy. None is invested in substantially enough to block that if it appears to be a team upgrade.

When Buck had Kim batting 2nd the day before it may have been a wake up call for Rickard.

Joey Rickard's diary:

May 6th: I've settled in now six weeks into my time in Baltimore, and have started planning my dream house with room for my six Porsches since I'm going to be a MLB regular for many years.

May 7th: Dear God! Kim batted second last night. My career may be in jeopardy. I'm going to have to start trying again. When did Buck say batting practice was?

They should totally have homers graded on a curve. They have the technology to measure them in distance, and Rickards' should only count as 3/5ths of a homer, while Alvarez gets a full share. Hitting the Pesky Pole in Fenway is like 15%.

Next up: fractional wins for games where the so-called score says you were ahead but the fans know you deserved to lose.

We should definitely take back Hardy's 2 HRs in Boston.. they should be pop ups.. barely.

Joey Rickard's diary:

May 6th: I've settled in now six weeks into my time in Baltimore, and have started planning my dream house with room for my six Porsches since I'm going to be a MLB regular for many years.

May 7th: Dear God! Kim batted second last night. My career may be in jeopardy. I'm going to have to start trying again. When did Buck say batting practice was?

You are on a roll today! :)

The anti-Rickard stuff is getting tired bud. We understand. He's not Kim. Rickard did win the game early with his great D before the bats put it away. Wind was not bowing out at that point. I know. I was there. It was a very short homer.

It's not anti-Rickard. The wind was a factor all day long and it was even said while the ball was in the air that the wind was blowing out. I also mentioned his defense, so I'm not sure how anything I said was "anti-Rickard"

unless Thorne is also anti-Rickard? I find it amusing that one game of good play (which it was) somehow completely erases all the bad throws, bad dives and baserunning blunders up to that point? They all still happened

and at this point still tip the scales far more than this one game. It's not like Joey hasn't made diving catches before, but he also dove for two or three balls that he had zero chance at as well before this game. It will

take more than one good game to erase all that. He's had good games, he's just had more bad ones.

Here's the video. Wind was blowing out and he hit it up into the wind and still barely made it out.

I agree completely.

The surviving members of the 1978 Red Sox and the 1978 Yankees need to get together and replay the final 2.33 innings of their one-game playoff.

Bucky Dent's home run need to be reclassified as a long fly ball out.

Then the winner of that game needs to play a best-of-5 League Championship Series against the surviving members of the 1978 Kansas City Royals to determine the true A.L. Champions from that year.

Then the winner of that series can play the surviving members of the 1978 Los Angeles Dodgers in a best-of-7 set so that a 1978 world champion can be determined, once and for all.

It's not anti-Rickard. The wind was a factor all day long and it was even said while the ball was in the air that the wind was blowing out. I also mentioned his defense, so I'm not sure how anything I said was "anti-Rickard"

unless Thorne is also anti-Rickard? I find it amusing that one game of good play (which it was) somehow completely erases all the bad throws, bad dives and baserunning blunders up to that point? They all still happened

and at this point still tip the scales far more than this one game. It's not like Joey hasn't made diving catches before, but he also dove for two or three balls that he had zero chance at as well before this game. It will

take more than one good game to erase all that. He's had good games, he's just had more bad ones.

Not trying to pile on and it is still a SSS, but didn't he have three good plays yesterday? I was in and out of the car listening, but thought I heard that in the recap, but really don't know since I did not see it.

As for the homer, I just watched the video and it was short, but he almost hit it one handed, looks to me like he dropped the top hand off early in the swing. Just my two cents.

So you agree, then, that Rickard wasn't the only one playing with said wind as a potential benefit?

Archived