So, managers can still manage after being ejected?

Aglets

Sorry if this isn't the proper board for this, but this is about last night's game.

Girardi was ejected from the game last night in the 4th, for arguing about a non-call on a balk.

Reading this article on ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yankees/post/_/id/92280/joe-girardi-waits-too-long-to-use-andrew-miller

It clearly indicates that Girardi was still managing the game from the 'road manager's office.'

He talks about why he waited to get Andrew Miller in the game in the 10th. So if a manager is ejected, he's still allowed to manage? He just can't physically sit in the dugout?

News to me.......

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, what'd you think they did? Go back in the clubhouse, put their feet up and drink beers?

They can't be in the dugout, but there's nothing MLB could really do to stop them from sending a text, sitting in the hallway to the dugout, etc. They just can't be able to be seen by the umpires.

Is this not a part of the official Rules anymore?

(4.07)

"When a manager, player, coach or trainer is ejected from a game, he shall leave the field immediately and take no further part in that game. He shall remain in the club house or change to street clothes and either leave the park or take a seat in the grandstand well removed from the vicinity of his team's bench or bullpen."

Sorry if this isn't the proper board for this, but this is about last night's game.

Girardi was ejected from the game last night in the 4th, for arguing about a non-call on a balk.

Reading this article on ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yankees/post/_/id/92280/joe-girardi-waits-too-long-to-use-andrew-miller

It clearly indicates that Girardi was still managing the game from the 'road manager's office.'

He talks about why he waited to get Andrew Miller in the game in the 10th. So if a manager is ejected, he's still allowed to manage? He just can't physically sit in the dugout?

News to me.......

I thought once a manager is ejected then he is out and can't manage the game.

Is this not a part of the official Rules anymore?

(4.07)

"When a manager, player, coach or trainer is ejected from a game, he shall leave the field immediately and take no further part in that game. He shall remain in the club house or change to street clothes and either leave the park or take a seat in the grandstand well removed from the vicinity of his team's bench or bullpen."

Well if there is a way to cheat then the Yankees will find a way to do it.

There really is no reason to throw a manager out of a game. It doesn't impact anything. Why go through the motions?

Disruptive behavior? I'm sure umpires don't want to rehash archenemy's all game long, right or wrong as they may be.

Oh and the manager for Toronto is an ugly sob and I hate his face.

There really is no reason to throw a manager out of a game. It doesn't impact anything. Why go through the motions?

If I could prevent myself from having to see or listen to some of the people I work with, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Actually, Earl wrote the book on managing the team, after being ejected. :)

Heh, yea, this line of inquiry makes me of course wonder what Buck does during his ejections.

Seems like this is one of those rules that exists on paper but is actually meaningless.

Kind of like the one that describes the strike zone! :wedge:

Thanks everyone! I'll be here all week!

Heh, yea, this line of inquiry makes me of course wonder what Buck does during his ejections.

Seems like this is one of those rules that exists on paper but is actually meaningless.

Kind of like the one that describes the strike zone! :wedge:

Thanks everyone! I'll be here all week!

I bet Roy Firestone could tell some stories. :)

My recollection is that non-enforcement of this rule was brought up from time to time when Earl, the master of the rulebook, after a game from he was tossed would deny with a wink that that he had continued to call the shots from the runway or clubhouse. ;) I think the rule was then changed to allow the manager to return after being ejected if he wore a really good disguise. https://www.truesportsfan.com/sixteen-years-ago-bobby-valentine-put-on-a-fake-mustache-after-being-ejected/ :rolleyes:

In light of Girardi's decision to bring in Barbato to pitch the 10th, I don't think he added a lot of value by managing the team after his ejection. :laughlol:

Archived