Richard Justice: Buck Showalter Is The Best Manager In Baseball

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I sure like Buck. Although I disagree with some things he does or doesn't do.

I certainly give Buck more credit than DD. The culture is set primarily by the manager, not the GM, though it is true that the GM can "mess up" a culture.

The culture is set primarily by the manager, not the GM, though it is true that the GM can "mess up" a culture.

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. Managers generally have very little positive impact on the overall win-loss record. A good manager won't add anything more than a few wins to a team's overall record. All of the teams from 2000-2009 wouldn't have come close to contention no matter who their manager was. And just look at the top teams in baseball at the moment. Pretty much every single one of them have really good executives in charge of baseball operations from Sandy Alderson with the Mets to Theo with the Cubs to Brian Sabean, Dayton Moore, Jon Daniels, Andrew Friedman, Mozeliak, Huntington, etc... Now look at the managers on those teams. How many of them really wow you with their decision making and baseball acumen? I would say Maddon and Bochy and that's basically it.

I certainly give Buck more credit than DD. The culture is set primarily by the manager, not the GM, though it is true that the GM can "mess up" a culture.

I mean like him not playing Kim more. Even when Joey is having a bit of a

struggle. Due to him being stubborn. Oh well I am sorry. I have best that horse

to death.

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. Managers generally have very little positive impact on the overall win-loss record. A good manager won't add anything more than a few wins to a team's overall record. All of the teams from 2000-2009 wouldn't have come close to contention no matter who their manager was. And just look at the top teams in baseball at the moment. Pretty much every single one of them have really good executives in charge of baseball operations from Sandy Alderson with the Mets to Theo with the Cubs to Brian Sabean, Dayton Moore, Jon Daniels, Andrew Friedman, Mozeliak, Huntington, etc... Now look at the managers on those teams. How many of them really wow you with their decision making and baseball acumen? I would say Maddon and Bochy and that's basically it.

I notice that you didn't mention 2010, when the O's went 32-73 without Buck and 34-23 with him.

Yes, that is exactly what some studies have said. It's not always about things you can measure, such as decision making. The culture that Buck created is difficult to assign a value, but it is substantial. Anyone paying attention should realize that Buck's impact as manager is as great as anyone in baseball.

The post you responded to didn't say anything about wins, he said "culture". If you think Buck had nothing to do with the direction of this team then you aren't paying close enough attention. It may be hard to quantify in wins, but Buck instilled a culture of accountability and subsequently winning.

Yes, that is exactly what some studies have said. It's not always about things you can measure, such as decision making. The culture that Buck created is difficult to assign a value, but it is substantial. Anyone paying attention should realize that Buck's impact as manager is as great as anyone in baseball.

One thing that hard to measure is what degree managers influence players developing or putting it all together. Could be nothing, could be a lot, but I think it's harder to decouple the manager and player performance as is common in the stance that says managers have little impact.

Again, could be something, could be nothing, I just think it's a bit more complicated than saying the manager has no effect and it's all players.

Members of the media are often ridiculed for not knowing the games they cover, or not being respected by people who play the game. Richard Justice is one that has built up a lot of equity in the business. He's not always right of course but he is respected and his opinions carry weight.

What this means for Buck... probably nothing.

I guess Earl Weaver shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame, probably didn't add anything more than a few wins to the overall records for his teams. I guess there's no reason to recognize any managers for that matter.

Bochy for me, but Buck is a great manager. Madden has always had a ton of talent to work with, which can make you look really good. Kind of telling that when Tampa sold the talent he bailed for the team with far and away the most talent in baseball.

Archived