Fangraphs' crowdsourcing ranks O's TV broadcast crew no. 5 in MLB

Frobby

I haven't heard enough Giants, Cubs, or Mets broadcasts to really have much to say there.

Can't really argue with Vin Scully at the top. He has one of the smoothest PBP voices I've ever heard. Knocking off the top spot would kind of be like kicking Barristan Selmy out of the kingsguard.

IMO Thorne and Palmer are excellent. Bordick is kind of vanilla. Replacing him with Ben McDonald or Brian Roberts could be an improvement.
If you've ever watched another teams broadcast, you'll know how good we have it.

We are very fortunate. Gary is top three for certain.

If you've ever watched another teams broadcast, you'll know how good we have it.

Absolutely. If the Orioles aren't on but the Nats are, it's almost unbearable to watch due to FP Santangelo and the PBP guy. I can't remember his name but those two together are insufferable.

One of the benefits of MLB.TV is being able to do just that...and I have listened to just about every other group in MLB. I do think Jon Miller remains at the top of my personal list of play by play though Vin Scully's voice is iconic. But Jim Palmer is the best color guy and there is no one even remotely close.

I thought Scully and Miller were radio guys. This ranking TV correct?

Scully is definitely also their TV guy ... I watch the Dodgers often when the O's aren't on because I know that when we lose him it will be the last of the greatest generation of baseball broadcasters finally gone (he's retiring at the end of this season) ...

Jon Miller is the Giants' radio (and occasionally TV) guy, and when we played them last season I, with all due respect to our team of Palmer and Thorne that I love dearly, elected to listen to the game via the Giants' broadcast for nostalgic reasons of the days when Miller was ours ... he is almost a throwback to the Vin Scully era of guys ...

Archived