vs. ANGELS, 5/20

OFFNY

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well if they want to make a serious run at the playoffs, they can't do it with Wright, Jiminez, and Gallardo. At least in my opinion.

Can Boston make a run with Buchholz?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

His numbers in AA right now are just silly.

Yep biggest issue right now is high pitch counts and trying to go deeper into games. But some guys on the Brewer rotation are struggling (including Davies) and Josh will probably see the majors later this year.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• As I said, in my second post, he has improved, I don’t care what he did last year. I’m much more interested in what he’s doing this year. And he’s improved, but he still walking seven batters per nine, and as far as I’m concerned, No. He was maddening when he was here, and I expect that he would be if he returned
    • Is that true? I don't think that it is. I think baseball and other sports are similar in this respect. I picked a random NHL player... literally the first one I stumbled on, Luc Robitalle. He played 19 years in the NHL. Had a peak goal scoring season of 63, and also had seasons of 23, 15, 11, 30. Heung-min Son is a poplar Premier League soccer player, a forward, for Tottenham Hotspur. In his nine years with the club he's scored totals including 4, 14, 12, 11, 23, and 10 goals. Wayne Rooney was a regular starter in the Premier League from 2002-2018 and had goals scored totals anywhere from six to 27, including consecutive years in his prime of 27, 11, 11, 26. In the space of eight years Wilt Chamberlain had season average scoring marks of anywhere from 24 to 50 points per game. In 1981 John Riggins played in 15 NFL games, rushed 194 times for 714 yards and 13 TDs. In 1983 he played in 15 games and rushed 375 times for 1347 yards and 24 touchdowns.
    • It's all good... and good reply. 
    • Mejdal was interviewed during the TV broadcast... maybe two weeks ago. He repeated his preference right at the end of the interview (IIRC, from the stands or field). 
    • I think we need to be careful about conflating BABIP and luck.  All batted balls are not created equal.  Not even all balls with the same EV and launch angle are equal.   
    • You said it works out less often. I agree that is what the historical data said in a study many years ago. It is a reason to be cautious. I would add that Gunnar is an exception as well. There are a long list of 17 year talents who do not develop. For me, it has more to do with which team drafts them, than age at graduation. Things are changing, I think. I read an article some months ago about development and it talked about the age factors of high school kids. It was in depth about age, confidence, physical maturation and all that. It talked about high level travel ball, year round development and training, and how modern data have helped evaluate the players. I believe it was the opinion of the author, so I suppose it is anecdotal.  Many talented kids are 19 at graduation, and Florida and Texas have it quite often. When they go to college, they become draft eligible sophomores. There are many examples of players in that demographic finding success. I have no idea where that article was, sorry. I read a lot about these kinds of things from many sources as a former youth coach and the parent of a 13 year old pitcher/player. I am sure someone will ask for a link. Take it for what it is. Not trying to be argumentative, or contrary. Just adding to the discussion, Greg. 
    • I’ll give it a think and see if I can convince Sig. 😉
  • Popular Contributors