Would you be willing to trade Schoop and Givens for a good starting pitcher?

Frobby

Of course the reason he was available for 2/18 plus an option was his near-5.00 ERA with the O's in 2013, and his 4.26 ERA/5+ FIP with the A's the second half of '14. And his 144 innings/season from 2012-14.

I certainly would have rather had him than Gallardo, but he wasn't available this year and that's a pretty low bar to clear. I might have gone with Eddie Gamboa over Gallardo.

Anyone think Hammel would have pitched for that money in Baltimore, or that well?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I totally agree Schoop has some limitations that a lot of fans don't want to acknowledge. I think his "ceiling" is a lot lower than I have heard people saying, even only being 24. He might have a little more growth, but not that much.

I don't agree what we do with him has even the slightest effect on what Manny does. I was actually just thinking about this today.

This is business, and remember we are dealing with Manny and the agent. The agent will tell him it means nothing what happens with your buddy, worry about yourself, get the best deal for YOU. And I think most players will listen to that. If we step up to the plate with a serious offer, whatever happens with Schoop isn't going to mean a hill of beans. This isn't the playground taking guys for a pickup game that you are friends with. And again Lozano will make that very clear.

As far as the trade....the guy coming back would have to have some control like the players we are giving up. All about the match, but I'm guessing we could get a #3 out of it at best. TOR? No chance.

I think schoop being on the team will effect what Manny does, within reason. He won't take a 20million dollar pay cut because of JS but IMO he will look at the team a little more favorably. I like to think at some point the extra few million dollars doesn't have as much value as being comfortable in your current situation. I will also add that I think the Schoop effect will mean more of manny is extended pre free agency. Also would mean a lot to have Showalter extended.

On the other hand, as far as trading schoop, I would feel a whole lot better if mountcastle were a bit more advanced. Things may change by July though, who knows.

I think schoop being on the team will effect what Manny does, within reason. He won't take a 20million dollar pay cut because of JS but IMO he will look at the team a little more favorably. I like to think at some point the extra few million dollars doesn't have as much value as being comfortable in your current situation. I will also add that I think the Schoop effect will mean more of manny is extended pre free agency. Also would mean a lot to have Showalter extended.

On the other hand, as far as trading schoop, I would feel a whole lot better if mountcastle were a bit more advanced. Things may change by July though, who knows.

If the decision was solely on Manny I would agree.

But when you have an agent in your ear screaming money money money, just business just business, I think it won't matter as much as we would like to think.

A lot of these guys literally don't even enter the conversation until the very end when a huge deal is being worked on. They trust the agent to do whatever THEY think is right for them. Of course Manny has the final say but it is amazing how much faith players put in these guys, it happens all the time.

Agreed. If you are going for it, then this is the type of trade you can make. It could hurt you in the future (i.e. Arrieta), but it doesn't hurt this years team that may have a chance to win it all.

Yeah, I think it would be super gutsy to trade Bundy before seeing him fully healthy, permitted to throw all his pitches, and stretched out as a starter.

Because you think Schoop is the next Robinson Cano? I like Schoop, but as you know, I don't think he'll ever be at anywhere near that level.

I like Schoop, he is a great player but think this is a great thread and discussion point. Our system is thin as we stand, we must get creative.

I suggested Givens in another thread.

Not because I dislike him (quite the opposite) but it's a position of strength.

I think Wright could fill the Givens spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is easy to answer: NO! You would not get an ace like Kershaw or Bumgartner or Strasburg - to think that is just silly. It would take Manny and Givens to do that and again I would say: NO! What you would get is not good enough - no way - no how!

This is easy to answer: NO! You would not get an ace like Kershaw or Bumgartner or Strasburg - to think that is just silly. It would take Manny and Givens to do that and again I would say: NO! What you would get is not good enough - no way - no how!

I think manny could bring back more than just an ace.

All I know is that MLBTR put Teheran on its list of top 10 players most likely to be traded. They've already stacked their farm pretty well, so I thought they might prefer guys who have some major league experience but remain under control for several years. They're awful at 2B (.643 OPS) and they lack power. Their starting pitching is better than their bullpen (13th/15 in the NL in bullpen ERA).

The Braves have Ozhaino Albies and Dansby Swanson coming to take SS/2B at the start of 2017, they're both top 25 prospects in the game.

I say roll with what we have until the deadline. Here are a few that I could come up with and what I think they would cost,

1. Julio Teheran-Atlanta

Bundy, Sisco, O.Peralta

2. Sonny Gray-Athletics

Bundy, Schoop, Hess

or

Bundy, Schoop, Lee, Ubaldo for Gray, Lowrie, Crisp

3. Jose Fernandez-Marlins

Bundy, Sisco, Peralta, Lee

4. Matt Harvey-Mets

Trumbo

Obviously the price is steep. I don't see a team that's out of it wanting to trade for a reliever like Givens, and I don't see a team that's in it wanting to trade a TOR SP. For Givens it would have to be a three team deal or wait till the offseason. I'll leave the three team trade scenarios to others.

Not one of these is even remotely realistic

The Braves have Ozhaino Albies and Dansby Swanson coming to take SS/2B at the start of 2017, they're both top 25 prospects in the game.

Yeah... Braves don't need 2nd or SS anytime soon. Braves will want a catcher, young pitchers, and OFs.

Hard to have a conversation with comments like that. What's your ideas?

Gray,Fernandez,Harvey aren't realistic. The Orioles simply don't have the pieces to keep up with what other teams would offer. LAD is going to be throwing Jose DeLeon,Holmes,Bellinger etc, The Redsox Benintendi,Devers,Espinoza etc. As much as you guys like Schoop, he was never all that highly heralded and he's only on pace for 1.5fWAR this year.

Archived