Updates on Hunter Harvey

Norfolk orioles

I think originally they hope he could get to an affiliate in July. I heard something about him throwing off flat ground somewhere.

If we can get Bundy AND Harvey on track to contribute to the starting rotation next year, that would be huge. Gausman, Bundy and Harvey all healthy and in the starting rotation would be a dream come true - The real Cavalry?

If we can get Bundy AND Harvey on track to contribute to the starting rotation next year, that would be huge. Gausman, Bundy and Harvey all healthy and in the starting rotation would be a dream come true - The real Cavalry?

Harvey isn't close to BAL. No chance he'll be here next year. He can't even get on a mound.

I'd imagine Harvey has to still be a few seasons away. He hasn't even pitched in AA yet. We could possibly see one of the pitchers drafted yesterday make the team before Harvey.

Harvey was throwing off flat ground a week or so ago. He'll probably be lucky to pitch in a game that matters by July. Right now, let's just see him log a complete season in the minors before we start talking his role with the Orioles. As fragile as he's been, I might consider putting him in the bullpen for a season as a three inning reliever and see how he holds up.

After Dylan Bundy's performance last night, I got to thinking about our other oft-injured top pitching prospect. How's Hunter Harvey doing? Last I saw he had surgery to repair a tear in his groin muscle - does anyone have any info how his recovery is coming along? Harvey seems like the forgotten man in the organization.

Steve M said just t the other day he started throwing off flat ground. No exact timetable yet.

Never met Steve, but he is a MUST FOLLOW for minor league reporting. Love his coverage. Seems like a class act.

To be clear, I wouldn't look at Harvey contributing in early 2017, but maybe later in the year - possibly September. But those of you who are suggesting caution and patience are right. Bundy got me all excited last night, woke up feeling very optimistic.

That would be good if he could.

To be clear, I wouldn't look at Harvey contributing in early 2017, but maybe later in the year - possibly September. But those of you who are suggesting caution and patience are right. Bundy got me all excited last night, woke up feeling very optimistic.

With all the back and forth here about the state of the minors I think much of the evaluation will come down to the success's or lack of the same of Dylan Bundy and Hunter Harvey. If they get close to their potentials along with Kevin Gausman the Orioles will have a very strong rotation. Add Chris Tillman in there the starting rotation will be in a position of strength. I know we worry about signing Manny but Tillman is someone I would lock up at the end of this year. He seems very signable to me. If he finishes this year strong and has another good one he will be a very valuable asset.

Oh now you've done it- the dreaded c word when it comes to pitching prospects. Move over Forney, Klingenbeck, Sackinsky, Eshelman and Ponson (?), the new guys are coming. :D

I wonder if Harvey's been out for so long that is elbow naturally healed and won't need TJ. Tough to be optimistic when the dude has to come back from a groin operation just to see if he needs TJ surgery. We could be looking at 3 years without him throwing a pitch in the minors.

Oh now you've done it- the dreaded c word when it comes to pitching prospects. Move over Forney, Klingenbeck, Sackinsky, Eshelman and Ponson (?), the new guys are coming. :D

Seems like we've had a cavalcade of Cavalries (with plenty of Calvaries and corrections tossed in). Could we just call our minor league pitching prospects minor league pitching prospects?

As for Harvey, at one point I thought he was a real possibility to audition as a starter by the middle of next year. That's not happening. Maybe he gets here before the end of 2017, but he sure can't be part of any plan for next year. At this point, it looks like the back end in 2017 will remain something like "Ubaldo and Wright, we'll need to score 6 tonight."