Updates on Hunter Harvey

Norfolk orioles

I don't know. When I was this kid's age, I never strained a groin nor did I never play any ball with anyone who ever strained a groin. Maybe we exercised our groins more back then...unknowingly... And look at Cal, he never strained his groin. He must have been working it out a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's an odd injury for a young guy to get. I never had a lower body injury my entire life and pulled both my groin and hamstring within about two years in my early-30's. I have found that stretching is important now, but growing up and in my 20's these kinds of injuries were never an issue for me or anyone I was playing ball with, wrestling, etc. I am also convinced these arm injuries are a result of kids throwing year round growing up rather than playing baseball and other sports seasonally.

I don't know. When I was this kid's age, I never strained a groin nor did I never play any ball with anyone who ever strained a groin. Maybe we exercised our groins more back then...unknowingly... And look at Cal, he never strained his groin. He must have been working it out a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He probably gets to use his groin a lot more than you did at that age.

:)

It's an odd injury for a young guy to get. I never had a lower body injury my entire life and pulled both my groin and hamstring within about two years in my early-30's. I have found that stretching is important now, but growing up and in my 20's these kinds of injuries were never an issue for me or anyone I was playing ball with, wrestling, etc. I am also convinced these arm injuries are a result of kids throwing year round growing up rather than playing baseball and other sports seasonally.

I've got the opposite perspective. I just stopped playing last year at 35....played an average of probably 50 games a season with a couple seasons in my early 20's over 100 games (playing in 3 summer leagues and a fall league). Groin pulls and hammy pulls were pretty common, especially early in the season. I literally "popped" my hammy once....never knew it could make a sound, but it sounded like popping a ziploc bag that's full of air.

I'd say groins/hammy pulls were almost MORE common with younger guys because they were less prone to properly stretching.....myself included.

• 3 weeks later...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hunter Harvey pitched 2 innings today at extended spring. No discomfort in groin. Nearing assignment to affiliate <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">April 28, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Harvey lives!

• Upvote 1

o

Harvey Leads List of Orioles Top-30 Prospects

11) Hunter Harvey

12) Dylan Bundy

13) Jomar Reyes

14) Chance Cisco

15) Trey Mancini

16) Demetrius Jerome Stewart

17) Ryan Mountcastle

18) Christopher Ulysses Lee

19) Tanner Scott

10) Jason Garcia

11) Christian Walker

12) Jonah Heim

13) Gray Fenter

14) David Hess

15) Joey Rickard

16) Tyler Wilson

17) Ofelky Peralta

18) Lazaro Leyva

19) Parker Bridwell

20) Oliver Drake

21) J.D. Gunkel

22) Mike Yastrzemski

23) Ryan McKenna

24) Jason Heinrich

25) Garrett Cleavinger

26) Brian Gonzalez

27) Alex Murphy

28) Josh Hart

29) Branden Kline

30) Adrian Marin

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016?list=bal

Harvey_qtrfdpi7_inkvwiwn.jpg

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hunter Harvey pitched 2 innings today at extended spring. No discomfort in groin. Nearing assignment to affiliate <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>? Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">April 28, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Harvey lives!

Thanks for this info.

As others have pointed out, at least it wasn't his throwing arm that was injured.

And as other have also pointed out, his innings this season were to be limited anyway, so it's just a matter of when he'll wrap his season up before he gets shut down.

Getting Harvey through the season healthy would be huge. Things look pretty bleak with SP prospects on the farm.

I'd have to rate them as

Gunkel

Hess

Miranda

Brian Gonzalez

Jason Garcia???

It's not very fun to look at the pitching in the box scores.

Don't forget about Christopher lee. I have high hopes for him. Lefty's that can touch upper 90's don't grow on trees.