DJ Stewart (and others) promoted to Frederick

Frobby

I wonder whether Keith Bodie (Keys manager) and Erik Pappas (hitting coach) have done something with him. I mention Bodie because he was the hitting coach at Bowie last year when Trey Mancini exploded.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Orange and black add tallies in the 2nd, RBI's for Stewart and Kneeland. 3-0 after three, D-Rich strikes out the side</p>— Frederick Keys (@FrederickKeys) <a href="

">July 15, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder whether Keith Bodie (Keys manager) and Erik Pappas (hitting coach) have done something with him. I mention Bodie because he was the hitting coach at Bowie last year when Trey Mancini exploded.

He looked ridiculous to me on Saturday. (Not a complement.)

He looked ridiculous to me on Saturday. (Not a complement.)

You did mention that, and I also saw eb45's response, and your observations concerned me. I'm having trouble reconciling them with Stewart's recent performance.

When you saw him, did his set-up look significantly different than in the video Slade-OH posted a while ago? Because in that video, I don't think his set-up looks that unorthodox. http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/153715-D-J-Stewart-Video

You did mention that, and I also saw eb45's response, and your observations concerned me. I'm having trouble reconciling them with Stewart's recent performance.

When you saw him, did his set-up look significantly different than in the video Slade-OH posted a while ago? Because in that video, I don't think his set-up looks that unorthodox. http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/153715-D-J-Stewart-Video

It looked the same. I think it's just a terrible setup. There is just way too much that can go wrong if everything doesn't happen just right.

He has to move his bat from pointing down to pointing up, and lower his hands below his ears, before he can ever begin his load. Where fractional measures matter, he's never going to load the same way. So he's never going to swing the same way.

It's great that's it's worked for 2 weeks. But unless he's discovered some unwritten truth about hitting mechanics, I don't think it's sustainable as currently implemented.

It looked the same. I think it's just a terrible setup. There is just way too much that can go wrong if everything doesn't happen just right.

He has to move his bat from pointing down to pointing up, and lower his hands below his ears, before he can ever begin his load. Where fractional measures matter, he's never going to load the same way. So he's never going to swing the same way.

It's great that's it's worked for 2 weeks. But unless he's discovered some unwritten truth about hitting mechanics, I don't think it's sustainable as currently implemented.

His setup reminds me a bit of Jeff Bagwell's. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDB4sCP_egU

One guy who does have a similar load to Stewart, at least in the "bat head pointing down" department is Paul Goldschmidt. His load is a lot cleaner than Stewart's, but he's got a similar situation where he needs to cock his wrists before he loads. I'm still not a fan of the setup Stewart's used since being drafted, but it's not unthinkable that he could hit with that weird wrist action, I guess. Chris Davis is another guy who moves his hands a lot in his load. So it's not like a weird setup is a kiss of death. But if you go and look at how his swing has changed since he was drafted, you'll notice the differences.

Terry Crowley has supposedly been working with him there.

The legs maybe, but Bagwell's hands are actually pretty quiet in that clip. Not a lot of wasted motion.

He had more movement early n his career. Look at the second homer on this video.

Eddie Murray also had a wide stance and some movement.

Terry Crowley has supposedly been working with him there.

Interesting note on the O's broadcast today that Stewart's closed his stance since his move to Frederick. I'd love to see some good side-angle video of him if anyone's at Frederick any time soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived