DJ Stewart (and others) promoted to Frederick

Frobby

As weams posted in another thread, Stewart hit a 3-run homer today. In 17 games at Frederick since his promotion, Stewart is hitting .298/.412/.491. Crazy! If he had never played at Aberdeen or Delmarva, we'd be super-excited about about the guy right now.

Also, Ryan Meisinger has pitched 10.2 scoreless innings since his promotion, striking out 15. Garrett Cleavinger has a 2.92 ERA in 12.1 IP, and has struck out 18.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As weams posted in another thread, Stewart hit a 3-run homer today. In 17 games at Frederick since his promotion, Stewart is hitting .298/.412/.491. Crazy! If he had never played at Aberdeen or Delmarva, we'd be super-excited about about the guy right now.

Also, Ryan Meisinger has pitched 10.2 scoreless innings since his promotion, striking out 15. Garrett Cleavinger has a 2.92 ERA in 12.1 IP, and has struck out 18.

Cleavinger could find himself in the big league bullpen next season. He probably should have started at Frederick or been promoted much faster.

He also stole his third base. It's been mentioned before in threads about Stewart, but I don't think it should go overlooked. Dude has stolen 19 bases this year. So far this season the big league club has stolen 12 total. He was never tabbed for having remarkable speed so it must be knowledge of how to read pitchers.

He also stole his third base. It's been mentioned before in threads about Stewart, but I don't think it should go overlooked. Dude has stolen 19 bases this year. So far this season the big league club has stolen 12 total. He was never tabbed for having remarkable speed so it must be knowledge of how to read pitchers.

He also has 6 CS this season (76%). I'm not sure he will be able to succeed at a high enough rate for his basestealing to count as a positive in the majors.

He also has 6 CS this season (76%). I'm not sure he will be able to succeed at a high enough rate for his basestealing to count as a positive in the majors.

Those rates often go down as they reach higher levels agreed, but it looks like he will steal about 30 this year. Maybe a selective 10 to 15 SB kind of guy if he ever reaches the majors.

I'm cautiously optimistic with Stewart now. Overall numbers are looking somewhat respectable now between the two levels. Still so much going on with that swing and would like to see more power. I think that frame is maxed out so the power we are seeing now is likely what we can expect long term unless some Mancini like adjustment happens and he just starts mashing.

Agreed, but at least it's an indicator that he's not as slow as some people assumed from his body type, and that he at least knows how to steal a base if he's called upon to do it.

My current personal, know nothing, never played professional baseball theory:

Maybe Stewart was so used to seeing a certain level of quality pitching in college that he hard a very difficult time with lower level A ball pitching that was more erratic than what he was used to. Hopefully, we see his stats start to normalize closer to where they are now as he gets higher in the minors.

Good call then. There are a few people (and far between) sprinkled out there who have held fast to their belief that this guy has big-league ability.

Still a long long way. Heck, I gave Matt Hobgood two seasons. Bill Rowell three.

Still a long long way. Heck, I gave Matt Hobgood two seasons. Bill Rowell three.

They were high schoolers. Rowell actually had a great debut season (.929 OPS at Bluefield, .876 at Aberdeen), then a pretty good one at Delmarva (.763) considering he was still only 18 (Stewart OPS'd .719 there at age 22). So, it made sense to be patient when he struggled at Frederick at age 19. But then he started going backwards. Hobgood had injuries so we had to be patient for that reason even though he was struggling.

Stewart's struggles have been much more perplexing. But he's not struggling at Frederick right now, so let's hope he can keep it up the remainder of the season and then we can reassess.

Agreed, but at least it's an indicator that he's not as slow as some people assumed from his body type, and that he at least knows how to steal a base if he's called upon to do it.

Now this is some serious Frobby positive spin. He must be excited since Nickie has increased his plate discipline this year! ;)

Good call then. There are a few people (and far between) sprinkled out there who have held fast to their belief that this guy has big-league ability.

I'm not about to start gloating based on a two-week sample, but I will say that his performance at Frederick has felt like some small amount of validation. Hopefully he can keep it up and contribute at the big-league level.

I'm not about to start gloating based on a two-week sample, but I will say that his performance at Frederick has felt like some small amount of validation. Hopefully he can keep it up and contribute at the big-league level.

It's like three weeks now :)

Archived