DJ Stewart (and others) promoted to Frederick

Frobby

He doesn't physically look like it, but his stats say he's got a good chance of being the O's leadoff man of the future. The .391 OPS in Frederick says it. His 20 of 27 steals this season indicates surprisingly good speed and what you look for in a leadoff man. Our lack of long-term options at the corner OF spots indicate there will likely be a spot defensively for him. He may be the O's leadoff man in 2018.

I wouldn't argue with that. Or a #2 hitter.

I don't see the power though, or the ability to hit LHP.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So how did you do that? Was I using the wrong link, or do I have to use this vevmo site?

lol it really sucks when you try to be witty then figure out you're and idiot and can't post the pic!!

I've noticed that really long links don't work.

If you check you will see the link I used was a lot shorter.

Don't know why.

Stealing bases in the minors is one thing. Guys like Stewart lose speed as they get older too. He might be the kind of guy who surprises teams into 10 stolen bases but it's very doubtful he's any kind of real stolen base threat on the ML level if and when he ever gets there.

But he's gotta have at least decent speed if he's stealing 20 bases in 2 thirds of a season. I'm not really caring if he steals bases in the majors. Right now, we have guys who can't even go from 1st to 3rd on hits to RF.

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta give the O's brass for promoting Stewart when they did. I didn't think the move made sense at the time, but the results are there. Now he's finally starting to show some pop - 2 homers and a double in the last 4 games. His OPS at Frederick is close to .830 in a little over 160 plate appearances, so it seems like things are clicking for him after a dubious start to the season.

Gotta give the O's brass for promoting Stewart when they did. I didn't think the move made sense at the time, but the results are there. Now he's finally starting to show some pop - 2 homers and a double in the last 4 games. His OPS at Frederick is close to .830 in a little over 160 plate appearances, so it seems like things are clicking for him after a dubious start to the season.

Same with Mercedes, finally getting the hang of Advanced A. Maybe they both just needed some time to adjust.

Though they both still have some gaping holes at the plate, but another season may help close them up.

Same with Mercedes, finally getting the hang of Advanced A. Maybe they both just needed some time to adjust.

Though they both still have some gaping holes at the plate, but another season may help close them up.

But Mercedes was already killing it at Delmarva with a .990 OPS - I assume that was the best in the entire O's organization, and it was an obvious move to promote him. Stewart was mediocre there and only started doing well in Frederick. Gotta wonder - what was it that made the O's promote Stewart? Was it a difference in the coaching?

But Mercedes was already killing it at Delmarva with a .990 OPS - I assume that was the best in the entire O's organization, and it was an obvious move to promote him. Stewart was mediocre there and only started doing well in Frederick. Gotta wonder - what was it that made the O's promote Stewart? Was it a difference in the coaching?

Mercedes is also older than nearly everyone in the South Atlantic League, so him tearing it up shouldn't have been a surprise. He struggled at first in Frederick, but picked it up.

Stewart struggled too and still has his moments. I think he got promoted to try and see if a change of scenery would be good, along with him facing a bit better competition and seeing if he could adjust. Don't be shocked to see him in Double A next season to see how he adjusts. If he struggles early, expect a return to Frederick.

That was Brian Graham's decision. He just thought some new scenery and gtting a fresh start would jump start him a bit. He was right.

Stewart looks much more comfortable at the plate in the recent games I've seen him play. I think that's the big difference is he is finally adjusting to hitting from a more upright stance then the Jeff Bagwell-esque crouch he's been in for last 3+ years at FSU. He seems much more confident in his approach now and its showing in the results. I still have his ability to hit left handed pitching and tap into his plus raw power consistently in games as major question marks. But, his hit tool has progressed enough since he came to Frederick for me to be more encouraged about his future outlook then I was at the beginning of the season.

Archived