Fangraphs: Where Do the Orioles Go From Here?

Can_of_corn

I'd love to have a better glove in right, but they are stuck with Pedro at dh, which puts Trumbo in right.

Edit-I don't think replacing Hardy is a realistic option with how the team is put together.

I think the price to get Reddick would be much higher than the gain from Reddick RF/Trumbo DH compared to Trumbo RF/Alvarez DH. Then I definitely don't think we'd have the bullets to upgrade the pitching.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the price to get Reddick would be much higher than the gain from Reddick RF/Trumbo DH compared to Trumbo RF/Alvarez DH. Then I definitely don't think we'd have the bullets to upgrade the pitching.

I think Dan is pretty well backed into a corner right now.

He has three choices, stay the course, overpay for a marginal pitching upgrade or make what I will undoubtedly consider an ill-advised big move to get a decent starter.

Depends on how you define good. Relative to everyone else or relative to perfection?

Their projections are similar to other outlets: No better than predictions. Just about the same as throwing darts blindfolded at balloons with win totals printed on them. :D

I think Dan is pretty well backed into a corner right now.

He has three choices, stay the course, overpay for a marginal pitching upgrade or make what I will undoubtedly consider an ill-advised big move to get a decent starter.

I think that pretty well sums up the situation. Maybe staying the course is the right decision but it's hard to sit back and watch when

you know that Boston and Toronto will make moves to upgrade.

According to Fangraphs, the entire outfield has been a problem outside of Reimold in a small sample: Trumbo (-10.1), Rickard (-8.6), Jones (-5.5), Kim (-4.7), and Reimold (-0.2).

I'm also thinking the best way to improve defense is outfield help.

If Jones is willing to move to RF (I wonder if he is onboard with a contract extension?) then acquire a defensive CF. Might take a bit of a offensive hit stealing PA's from Kim, but I have to think Jones D in RF would be huge upgrade on top of a big upgrade at CF.

Are there any defensive CF's who can at least hit a little available? Might be a better market then starting pitching.

SEA Leonys Martin - almost average CF bat

CIN Billy Hamilton - below average bat

MIA Marcell Ozuna - .367 OBP at 25 years old. Marlins would be insane to trade him.

???

OR do we just hope Adam Jones gets out of his funk? He was much better defensively last year. 7th in MLB by UZR.

How about trying something like this?

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-bit-outside/story/three-man-rotation-bill-james-bullpen-112515

Crazy. Tillman would probably have a fit. Buck probably never goes for it. But it would allow the O's to run Tillman & Gausman out every 3 days and would maximize the value of our biggest pitching strength, our bullpen.

Archived