2016 Trade Deadline Thread (Done)

Rene88

But prospects plus the ability to add significant payroll in what looks to be the greatest free agent class of all time...

The Yankees were always going to be able to add payroll. They've got oodles of overpriced vets coming off their books over the next two offseasons. Venting Miller does nothing, because he's honestly probably getting paid under market value nowadays anyway.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, we're not doing anything right? Riding a 6 game losing streak past the deadline with the idea that our pathetic pitching staff will guide us through?

I have stated that I believe two starters and a left-handed reliever by four tomorrow. That is what I believe.

I have stated that I believe two starters and a left-handed reliever by four tomorrow. That is what I believe.

I hope you are right. We might as well go for it right now. Besides, next month we are due to lead the league in hitting with RISP...

The Blue Jays are the class of the division. Healthy, best rotation. Offense on uptick. Defense solid. If they get another bullpen arm watch out.

They will win the division, best team. I also think without a big move by the Rangers, the Astros win the AL West.

I know just as much about the Tribe as I do the Orioles because I live in Ohio and tend to watch lot of their late games and early games when O's aren't playing.. also go to a good few Columbus Clipper games.

Yes, we know. Orioles traded for Miller to bolster a bullpen that was lights out from the 8th inning on (O'Day and Britton in 2014). Miller didn't get us to the WS. Nor did it work for the Yankees and he sure as hell didn't carry Boston to the WS in 2013. So we know he's not the make it or break it player you seem to think he is.

Next, Indians' bullpen is actually damn good already (2014 Orioles good) with Allen and Dan Otero. The issue Indians just don't have a lefty in the pen that's worth while (just like the 2014 Orioles). End of the day.. the Indians gave up WAY TOO MUCH considering they are taking on the other $20m Miller is owed.

Clint Frazier, Justus Sheffield, J.P. Feyereisen, and Ben Heller... all 4 will be in the majors in the next two years. Heller and Feyereisen will be there in weeks.

Indians over paid dramatically for a 1 inning pitcher. Indians always had the better chance in the AL because of their starting pitching. Indian's issue has always been the hitting and defense, if they keep hitting they'll be fine. But again Miller doesn't get them to the WS as he's a 1 inning guy.

Brantley won't be back any time soon (not til mid to late August) at the earliest.. even the Tribe won't do a time table. It's already July 31st and he hasn't even been able to swing day to day without pain.

So you're basing your claim that "we know" the Indians won't win the World Series with Miller on the fact that the Orioles failed to do it? That's ridiculous. Two entirely different teams. Two entirely different years. Also, I never claimed Miller was a "make or break" player. But he's a great reliever who, as I did note, can combine with Allen at the back end of the bullpen for one helluva tandem. That will push everyone else up an inning in support of a starting rotation that's exponentially better than the one the Orioles had when they traded for Miller. So no, we don't know that Miller can't help the Indians win the World Series (actually we do know that he CAN help the Indians win a World Series, just not whether or not he will). Also, keep in mind that the Indians get three shots at it before Miller's contract runs out. The Orioles only had one.

Maybe all four of those prospects will be in the big leagues in the next two years. Maybe not. So what? Maybe none of them will actually turn out to be worth a damn. Being a highly-regarded prospect is no guarantee. They're minor leaguers. If being a top prospect were a sure thing, the vaunted "cavalry" would have pitched the Orioles to about three World Series titles by now. Brian Matusz would have won a Cy Young Award. Arrieta would have done it with the Orioles. Clint Hurdle would be in the Hall of Fame.

And if Brantley is back by the end of August, that gives him plenty of time to settle in before the playoffs. Plus who's to say he won't be healthy and productive in 2017 and 2018 (while Miller is still under contract)?

You're just making declarative statements that are impossible to know. The one thing we do know is that Miller is one of the best relief pitchers in baseball. We also know he's a lefty (you said yourself the Indians could use one). We know the Indians have him. I don't think it's at all unreasonable to believe that having him increases the Indians' chances.

Archived