2016 Trade Deadline Thread (Done)

Rene88

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Who really cares what the payroll is?  And if you do,  why?  If we hadn't been swept out of the playoffs would we even be arguing this?  In the end the amount the Os pay isn't the issue or problem.  It's how the team performs on the field.  Sure we all know that payroll and wins have a fairly strong correlation to each other,  but it isn't exact or perfect at all.   Should we increase payroll?  Sure,  provided you makes the team better.  But increasing the payroll while not improving the team by doing so seems goofy.   Sign a #1 or #2, absolutely.   Move on from the platoon at 1st with a guy who can take up one roster spot and hit both rhp and lhp,  like Walker?  Sign me up.  Sign an impact OF and split at bats between Mullins, Cowser, Kjerstad and him?  Sounds good to me.   Replace Mountcastle with just a more expensive version of the same?  What's the point?  Sign an expensive pitcher to replace Povich with the same results?  Why,  other then a depth move?  I'm all for signing free agents and spending money,  just do it wisely and don't do it just to say we signed someone.   Actually improve the team or stand pat.  Making moves just to make moves is how you end up with Rogers types. Payroll matters, yeah.   But winning matters more.   If we can win with a 100M payroll, fine.   If it needs to be 200M to win,  that's fine with me too.  Just win games,  and let the window we have stay open as long as possible... and most importantly win the WS for the first time since 1983.  
    • If service time comes into play he would not be Arb eligible until 2026. No reason to  tender, just pick him up at Min wage.
    • Smith and Bowman signed Milb contacts, stop period. which means if they not have 6 years MLB service they make minor league money if they are in the minors. Albert signed a one guarenteed contract, 740k. Itwas A Milb contract to keep him off the 40. Even if he got DFA or never pitched one inning of MLB he still makes the 740k. He was good enough to demand this contract and get it. Smith and Bowman were not.
    • Just because you sign as a free agent doesn’t mean you aren’t subject to the rules around 6 years of service time. For instance, I don’t believe Burch Smith or Matt Bowman can elect free agency unless they are outrighted, released, or non-tendered. However, there are examples of foreign professionals being eligible to elect free agency early - for example Shintaro Fujinama last year.  It’s not part of the CBA, but presumably the commissioner will approve that special covenant as part of an FA deal if the player has at least 6 years of experience in foreign league.  It’s possible they would let Suarez combine his 1 year MLB service time (prior to this season) with his 3 years in NPB and 2 years in KBO.  And it’s possible they let Suarez write these terms into an MILB contract that had split MLB terms.  It wouldn’t have been my starting assumption, but it seems plausible.
    • Here I am checking in. We and our condo on the east side of Asheville made it through unscathed. On Tuesday we flew into DC and moved into a hotel in Falls Church. Our son, Eric, ordered us to make that trip and made all the arrangements because we had no internet and limited cell service. We expected to stay a week while electricity is restored and then we learned about the dire water situation. We are moving in with Eric and his family who have been supporting us in every way possible, anticipating needs and things that would help us. Our daughter, Robyn, and her husband, Ken live about 30 miles west of Asheville , Waynesville, had no damage, never lost power or water. Today they rescued my car from $30 a day hourly parking, threw out everything that was beginning to make the condo stink and tied up  a few ends we left loose when we left Dodge in a hurry. They are, collectively, the loving, supportive family everyone should want and have .
    • You should really try to read. It will make you less slow.
    • Just pointing out that not everyone wanted Adley extended last year. 
  • Popular Contributors