Wieters Talks About Accepting QO And The Future

Can_of_corn

Well, that's your opinion which is fine. But Norris was a good mid rotation arm in 2014. Something that we needed, and something that helped us get to the playoffs and make a run. I'm happy with that move, although it sucks we lost out on Hader.

Which part is opinion?

That he was interchangeable?

Sorry that's a fact, go look at the numbers.

That he wasn't worth 12 games in the standings?

Are you suggesting he was worth 12 games in the standings?

And I will repeat myself, he cost Hader, Hoes, and a first round pick.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Which part is opinion?

That he was interchangeable?

Sorry that's a fact, go look at the numbers.

That he wasn't worth 12 games in the standings?

Are you suggesting he was worth 12 games in the standings?

And I will repeat myself, he cost Hader, Hoes, and a first round pick.

No, not that he was interchangeable, but that he wasn't a big part of our success.

He definitely was. Just because he wasn't our top starter doesn't mean he wasn't a big part of our success. We gave up Hader and a pick to get Bud. Like I said, it's always great to look back on a trade years after, but at the time value wise it wasn't bad. You don't know that Hader becomes a top arm prospect in the big. A few years ago Hader wasn't close to where he is now.

We were a playoff team, a title contender. At the deadline, you buy. You deal prospects that can end up working out, or can never see the majors. Norris was a solid #3/#4 level starter. He helped a lot.

You are taking the easy route as most are. Looking at a deal 3 years after the fact, after Norris ended up flaming out and leaving Baltimore. Now one of the prospects involved happened to get going and now is a top prospect in baseball. It's easy to say now, "hey, that was a bad trade." But you can go around the league and pretty much every GM has done that. When your're competing, a WS means more than a young prospect with upside but who is 3-4 years away. It's 2016 and we made that deal a few years ago and he still isn't helping.

Like I said before, I love prospects, I'd prefer not to move them and have a good future. But I also realize how hard it is to win it all, and trading for Norris helped. There's no doubting that.

I can't see the Orioles letting Weiters (Buck's teacher's pet) walk when they can give Davis $160 million. That said, the Orioles also have Schoop, Machado, Tillman, and even Jones becoming Free Agents over the next 3 years. I am not sure how they give Manny $30m plus and keep any of the others.

I think 4/80 will do it but I may be wrong......If it doesn't do it, I think we did all we should do. He's a really good catcher and a good hitter.....not great imo.

You got that right. Currently Wieters has a .314 wOBA (slightly below the average mark at .320) and a 91 wRC+ (firmly below the 100 average). If he's going to reach his career averages for 2016, he has plenty of work to do in the second half.

4/80 would require liberal amounts of LSD on Duquette's part. The question in my mind would be whether or not Showalter would be the one feeding it to him. Boras would probably drag it out anyway, because for some people the only thing more seductive than powerful hallucinogenics is the adoration of an uncritical media and it's audience.

I have no idea whether Sisco is showing enough defensively (or enough potential for improvement defensively) to catch for Buck. If so, we're not looking for a catcher beyond the next couple of years. If not, we have a real logjam ahead of us at 1B/DH.

I can't see the Orioles letting Weiters (Buck's teacher's pet) walk when they can give Davis $160 million. That said, the Orioles also have Schoop, Machado, Tillman, and even Jones becoming Free Agents over the next 3 years. I am not sure how they give Manny $30m plus and keep any of the others.

A hitting catcher is a luxury. Weiters is the 3rd highest paid this year. And his WAR is not that great.

Whenever I read these threads which go into Hadst or ERod or Brault, I wonder what happened to there is no such thing as a pitching prospect. A few years ago all I heard is that you can't count on someone who looks good in the minors actually developing. Now people act like anyone we trade is a sure thing.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

No, not that he was interchangeable, but that he wasn't a big part of our success.

He definitely was. Just because he wasn't our top starter doesn't mean he wasn't a big part of our success. We gave up Hader and a pick to get Bud. Like I said, it's always great to look back on a trade years after, but at the time value wise it wasn't bad. You don't know that Hader becomes a top arm prospect in the big. A few years ago Hader wasn't close to where he is now.

We were a playoff team, a title contender. At the deadline, you buy. You deal prospects that can end up working out, or can never see the majors. Norris was a solid #3/#4 level starter. He helped a lot.

You are taking the easy route as most are. Looking at a deal 3 years after the fact, after Norris ended up flaming out and leaving Baltimore. Now one of the prospects involved happened to get going and now is a top prospect in baseball. It's easy to say now, "hey, that was a bad trade." But you can go around the league and pretty much every GM has done that. When your're competing, a WS means more than a young prospect with upside but who is 3-4 years away. It's 2016 and we made that deal a few years ago and he still isn't helping.

Like I said before, I love prospects, I'd prefer not to move them and have a good future. But I also realize how hard it is to win it all, and trading for Norris helped. There's no doubting that.

I told you to go look at the thread. I said it was an overpay at the time. No hindsight needed.

Whenever I read these threads which go into Hadst or ERod or Brault, I wonder what happened to there is no such thing as a pitching prospect. A few years ago all I heard is that you can't count on someone who looks good in the minors actually developing. Now people act like anyone we trade is a sure thing.

Hader. Don't know why my kindle switched yhat

I was actually more annoyed at losing the first round pick at the time.

So "just fine" is "great"?

And Norris cost the #35 pick, which had a slot value of $1.588MM.

#35, that's a first round pick.

Dan for 3M for a comp second round pick this year.

Sure. Just fine is great when you need just fine. And so far, that pick has not dented anyone.

Because this team is very short on starting pitching and some of those guys look like they might be decent starters.

I told you to go look at the thread. I said it was an overpay at the time. No hindsight needed.

It was only an overpay in that it was what it took to get what was needed without sacrificing Bundy Or Rodriguez. In his good year with us.

Archived